2 Stroke Oil

O

o8andholding

Are there any tips for us boaters not fortunate enough to own a 4 stroke. I'm tired of being gouged $5 - $6 dollars for a liter of oil. Does anyone have any tips on where to find affordable 2 stroke oil? In bulk is O.K.

not fortunate enough ??? I love two strokes. If you look at the power/weight ratio on Mercury Optimax or Etecs you have a more powerful motor burning less fuel , albeit noisier.

In regards to oil. I buy Castol TC3 from Walmart or West Marine on sale . I never pay more than 4.00 a liter as a rule. I know some guys on the forum buy barrels to get the real discounts.

I buy the TC3 Merc oil for $8.00 a litre most Merc dealers and $6.00 a litre in Port Alberni.All bulk prices.The Merc dealer in Victoria sells it new in the jug,12 litres/$100.00
I may have to try out the Castrol in my Optimax if you can get it for $4.00 a litre.Any plug issues with burning Castrol?
Dave

canadian tire sometimes has the 4 liter jugs on for under 20$. I use to also get them from petro can bulk station for about the same price, I think you have to buy a case(of 4)there, cant remember for sure. I think they were about 16$.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

quote:Originally posted by o8andholding

Are there any tips for us boaters not fortunate enough to own a 4 stroke. I'm tired of being gouged $5 - $6 dollars for a liter of oil. Does anyone have any tips on where to find affordable 2 stroke oil? In bulk is O.K.

my etec oil is 45$ a gallon [xx(]

What we do for conventional 2-stroke oil is buy the 4 or 6 packs of it from the petro can cardlock if you go into the office there for cheap.

quote:Originally posted by beemer

not fortunate enough ??? I love two strokes. If you look at the power/weight ratio on Mercury Optimax or Etecs you have a more powerful motor burning less fuel , albeit noisier.

Brian , less fuel ???
gotta call ya on that one, i have gone through 3 -2 stroke motors
and they gobbled nearly twice the fuel my 4-stroke does :D

Originally posted by o8andholding

Being a person that has rebuilt all kinds of 2 stroke outboards id'e really be leary of after market oil's. Some are obviously much worse than other's. The carbon you find when taking apart the powerhead instantly tells you if good oil is being ran. Quit often the carbon from cheap oil is the cause of powerhead failure. Not shure about the castrol oil mentioned. Don't touch canadian tire oil, chevron tcw111 is by far the worst iv'e seen. As far as after market oil go's the only one I no for shure is good is Esso two cycle.(can be purchased at any Esso bulk plan't) Not shure if it's still the case but they used to make the two cycle oil for merc & OMC. If your running a direct injection engine only run direct injection oil, it's thinner than regular oil and doesn't plug the oil filters or carbon the injectors etc which will cause many unneaded outboard repairs.:(:(:(

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

Craven, the difference at cruising speeds between 2 stroke and 4 stroke is only about 10% in favour of the 4 stroke. At idle/trolling the 4 stroke wins hands down. At cruise speeds the 2 stroke runs at less rpms to achieve the same speed as a 4 stroke. I run my 200 Yami at about 4200 rpms at 29-30 mph. I know the 4 strokes have to spin more to match that speed. I burn a consistent 10 gallons per hour at 4200 with the old school carbed 2 stroke on my 22 foot Seasport. I've run twice from Sooke to Bamfield (when I took mileage) at just over 3 hrs and used 28 gallons each time. Same Sooke to Renfrew and back, (1.5 hrs each way) 28 gallons.

Profisher, gas + oil = more money
10 % saving, sorry i call B.S.
i know i have done it!
have you run a 4 stroke ? (besides a kicker)

Scott, I have to disagree with your point. The smaller engines seem to favour 4 strokes. On my 215 Fishing machine before I got rid of the POS, I went from a 1999 Johnson 225 Carbourated loop charged engine to a Yamaha F225 Four Stroke, and noticed very little, if any fuel consumption difference.

I have heard a lot from guys in the sub 100 HP arena seeing very large savings, but a big V-6 is a big V-6. However, Nedarb's recent sea trial seem to be an exception to my findings.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Hey Scott , I am referring to two strokes from this decade!! Gone Fishin makes a very good point , I am referring to Direct Injection. If you are worried about warranty issues , only use the recommended oil. I run the Castrol 2 stroke oil in a 2001 Optimax 225 and a pair of 2004 Evinrude 150 DIs . Both types run better than the "recommended oil" and I have had no injector or powerhead issues with significant hours on the water.

In regards to fuel consumption . I do a lot of long runs with heavy loads. When you find the sweet rpm spot , modern two stroke wins hand down against 4 stroke, perhaps not throughout the entire range and certainly not trolling , but definately on plane and cruising.

The Evinrudes burn about 50% less oil than the mercs.

I have a yam 115 "c"(2 stroke, 50-1). been running it for 13 years. I buy my oil from where ever it is the cheapest as long as it meets the specs. Just picked up 2- 4 litre jugs from west marine- $15/per 4 litre jug. West Marine repackage chevron oil who supplies to all kinds of retailers (walmart, costco, canada tire, super store).just look at the specs on the label, and ensure that it meets yours requirements and those of the OEM specs and you won't have any problems. I cannot comment on the oil required for optimax or E-tecs.

smoke is a good thing :D

Bruce

points taken, my old 2 strokes were from several decades ago :D
and they did burn about twice the gas that my Honda burns

Hey Scott , I am referring to two strokes from this decade!! Gone Fishin makes a very good point , I am referring to Direct Injection. If you are worried about warranty issues , only use the recommended oil. I run the Castrol 2 stroke oil in a 2001 Optimax 225 and a pair of 2004 Evinrude 150 DIs . Both types run better than the "recommended oil" and I have had no injector or powerhead issues with significant hours on the water.

In regards to fuel consumption . I do a lot of long runs with heavy loads. When you find the sweet rpm spot , modern two stroke wins hand down against 4 stroke, perhaps not throughout the entire range and certainly not trolling , but definately on plane and cruising.

The Evinrudes burn about 50% less oil than the mercs.

Beemer,
What do you mean when you say that your Etecs and Optimax motors run better with the Castrol than with the recommended oil.Are you referring to smooth idle or smoke or what?I'm interested to hear what you've found with the Castrol.
Dave

Hey vettman , I find that the idle is much steadier and definately little or no smoke. I do run the expensive plugs on the Optimax and have put a Boyesen reed kit in.
When you have everything set up and running well don't be afraid to crack the throttle wide open every now and then , two strokes need a good burn occasionally and its good for your heart too.

quote:Originally posted by Gone Fishen

Originally posted by o8andholding

Being a person that has rebuilt all kinds of 2 stroke outboards id'e really be leary of after market oil's. Some are obviously much worse than other's. The carbon you find when taking apart the powerhead instantly tells you if good oil is being ran. Quit often the carbon from cheap oil is the cause of powerhead failure. Not shure about the castrol oil mentioned. Don't touch canadian tire oil, chevron tcw111 is by far the worst iv'e seen. As far as after market oil go's the only one I no for shure is good is Esso two cycle.(can be purchased at any Esso bulk plan't) Not shure if it's still the case but they used to make the two cycle oil for merc & OMC. If your running a direct injection engine only run direct injection oil, it's thinner than regular oil and doesn't plug the oil filters or carbon the injectors etc which will cause many unneaded outboard repairs.:(:(:(

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

I think you'd find that those carboned up engines have been run cold.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

In regards to oil. I buy Castol TC3 from Walmart or West Marine on sale . I never pay more than 4.00 a liter as a rule. I know some guys on the forum buy barrels to get the real discounts.

I mainly have used the Castrol TCW3 as well and have been doing so for several years now. My 1997 Johnson has been running well and since I got it in 2001 so no problems at this point. The Castrol is 18 bucks for 4 liters at Wallmart. I sure hope I am not damaging my powerehead!

Stopped in at Columbia fuels in CR this morning and Nautilus Premium Outboard Oil(Shell) is $23.10 total which includes taxes and env fees. With an account you get 25 cents a liter discount. They sell by 1 liter, 4 liter and by the case.

Then off to Canadain Tire and they want $29.99 4 liter + taxes and $7.99 a liter + taxes. Identical product

Columbia fuels = 5.20 liter($4.95 with discount) and Canadian Tire $7.50 liter (4 liter jug + taxes + env)

/fishon

Hey vettman , I find that the idle is much steadier and definately little or no smoke. I do run the expensive plugs on the Optimax and have put a Boyesen reed kit in.
When you have everything set up and running well don't be afraid to crack the throttle wide open every now and then , two strokes need a good burn occasionally and its good for your heart too.
:D:D:D
Dave

Back