Search results

1. D

Bearing Buddy maintenance & grease level

Some good tips in the replies, thanks. I will have a closer look at the back of the hubs for splatter this evening (hopefully it’s not losing grease through the rear seal), and will try adding some more grease, taking care to try and not overdo it too much. The trailer has no brakes, and only...
  2. D

Bearing Buddy maintenance & grease level

I purchased a brand new Highliner trailer last July which came with Bearing Buddy. On the last road trip, I noticed the passenger-side hub just slightly warm to the touch during highway stops, compared to the driver side. Not hot by any stretch, but you could tell a slight difference. Looking...
  3. D

Looking for an update for region 3 salmon regs

I bet you are probably using the right link but this is the most up to date regs that I know of. Any in season changes should show up here more or less immediately. Some waters do say mid-June for an update, so presumably nothing has changed as of yet... Region 3 ...
  4. D

'Aggressive' camping reservation system sparks calls for change

Wow that would be infuriating if you're trying to work within the system and legitimately book for only the actual days you need. It's always the few jerks that ruin it for everyone else. Maybe they should institute some sort of cost for reserving site. ie. 20% of your total bill is payable at...
  5. D

Anchor Rope Loops

Thanks for the info. It's primarily for chironomid fishing in lakes so I wont be using any chain between rope and anchor. The factory splice on the thimble end seems solid but I dont know if I can trust it. Dont know if I should I should just cut it off and rely on my own knot...
  6. D

Anchor Rope Loops

I picked up some 150' of 1/2" anchor rope from the boat show that came with a built in loop that I'm using to attach to a pyramid anchor with a screw pin shackle for stillwater fishing. The loop looks similar to this...
  7. D

Marine/Deep Cycle Batteries at Lower Mainland Costcos?

Well that was an adventure. I called the Richmond location about deep cycle marine batteries and the guy said they had them in stock. I go there and there's nothing on the shelf. Was able to figure out the proper SKU code or whatever they call it from the book they had in that section and it...
  8. D

Marine/Deep Cycle Batteries at Lower Mainland Costcos?

Do any of the Lower Mainland Costcos carry marine batteries? Costco website says available in store only but I went the the two Burnaby locations and they don't seem to have them, so dont know if they are limited to specific stores or provinces or something. Looking for something to power a 40lb...
  9. D

Where is the salmon?

I would also add that spot you describe in Richmond is a perfectly fine area, and one of the most popular for a reason. No other spots are guaranteed to be any better on any given day. Don’t get discouraged due to one slow day. Fish come in waves and ‘crazy full of salmon’ doesn’t mean constant...
  10. D

Beginner setup for Chinook and Pink

Speaking specifically re: pink fishing. If you want to cast for them, consider swapping your line to something lighter for better cast distance? For mainline maybe 8-10lb mono or 20 lb braid. Pinks are not that big, 30lb mono is overkill and will limit casting distance for no benefit. Also...
  11. D

Good place for pink salmon fishing in Fresh water

Are you close to the lower mainland? If so try the Fraser during all of September. They'll be in there from Richmond all the way to Chilliwack and can be readily had on spoons, spinners, buzzbombs, flies etc. It's a straightforward fishery well suited for beginners.
  12. D

Opinions on these semi barb-less hooks.

I use the single hook sickle version of this for float fishing in rivers. What Maruto calls thier 'catfsh' hooks. I dont believe those ridges have any fish holding advantage, or if it does, marginal at best. I like them for their sickle shape and the heavier guage wire wont straighten like the...
  13. D

Unwanted Invasive BC Fish?

Well no one cares what you keep in a tank but the transport of live fish is prohibited. If you try it and get caught get ready to break out the chequebook. Having said that, I've always thought instead of your typical tropical aquarium, one populated with locally occurring freshwater species...
  14. D

What to do with pinks?

I've also found that they dont freeze that well, or at least I havent discovered the secret. However I found that they still smoke up just fine, even when they are mushy enough to be difficult to slice cleanly. The same dry brine I use for coho/sockeye/whatever works great and they firm right up...
  15. D

Good dealer for trailer hitch in LML?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've decided to just use a bumper ball for now which should be more than sufficient to at least get a new purchase home safely. I'll look at a proper hitch after I acquire the boat & trailer. I dont mind paying a reasonable price to have a hitch installed but...
  16. D

Good dealer for trailer hitch in LML?

Thinking of adding a trailer hitch to a 2010 Toyota Tacoma to potentially tow a small boat (ie 12' aluminum). Dont have the boat yet, but am in the market and want to be ready if the right deal comes along. Load would likely never exceed even 500 lbs. Anyone recommend a trustworthy, well...
  17. D

My NEW Yamaha G3 1036 !

Whoops I didnt notice the original post was from 2013, but thanks for taking the time for a quick reply. 40" At the top? The Yamaha website currently says 36" bottom width and 52" beam. Maybe its referring to something else or the newer models are now wider at the top...
  18. D

My NEW Yamaha G3 1036 !

Nice ride. This is an interesting thread for me as I'm in the market for a jon boat for the 2016 season to do the interior chironomid thing so am currently trying to do lots of online research first. Are you able comment on the stability of the G3 1036 as a platform for standing up in and fly...
Back