Search results

1. the gambler

If you could go anywhere for crab 🦀

Beacher Bay. Gotta sift through a ton of females and smalls but i got 4 keepers from 2 traps on a three hour soak today. Probably 20+ in each one. If you're up for checking/rebaiting a few times a day i'd imagine you'd do well there.
  2. the gambler

Building boats from Hourston glascraft molds

lol. this ^ I guess 'under 250k' could be anything but REALLY? $240k for a Hourston? ps RDale- Going dark for two years with a dead website and coming back on Friday night at 11:45 to announce your 'restart' doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence. Not trying to be a jerk....just saying.
  3. the gambler

Trolling Reels - Anything New?

Short answer - Yes. While the high cost is high, the performance of my MR2 +3 reels make it worth it. Had mine for ten+ years now. (after years of Shimano and Peetz)
  4. the gambler

Forum members BOATS

Couldn't agree more! My current ride (swapped out to 150 Yamaha recently though)
  5. the gambler

DYI coated cannon balls

Hey there fish brain, We primarily produce bottle dipping wax (think Makers Mark) but we developed a modified product for dipping cannonballs with glow/colours. Honestly probably not as cost effective as just buying a dipped ball from wherever but looking into custom colours as we make the stuff...
  6. the gambler

DYI coated cannon balls

Hey there Mike. This is my account name on here. James from Kingswax. Cheers!
  7. the gambler

VHF upgrade needed

Hey there N2013, Walk down to my boat (the podded DE in the background) and take a look at my setup. Works great, no issues with interference.
  8. the gambler

Crabbing fundamentals

DONT use turkey. Many years of experimenting with different baits, the turkey will not only not catch crab-it'll scare 'em away. Don't ask me why.... My money is on fresh chicken (backs) and salmon gut's/carcass.
  9. the gambler

2022 Sooke Reports

Nice calm day today. Out of Beecher early this AM. No love before sunup but got real fishy from 6-7 between the head and trap. 5 nice Springs to the boat in an hour, 3 oversize (released beside the boat) and two nice 14-15 pound keepers a bit shy of 80cm. Anchovy on one side, spoon on the...
  10. the gambler

Who's fishing the Victoria/Sooke Aug. 1st opening gong show?

lol Not quite, i just always hold them out towards the camera!
  11. the gambler

Who's fishing the Victoria/Sooke Aug. 1st opening gong show?

I'll be off the Head at around 5. Aug 1st last year early worked out great!
  12. the gambler

Best Lingcod?

C'mon dude, really? Pretty sure the Chinook were "the healthiest stock on the coast" fish for centuries before we showed up....
  13. the gambler

Best Lingcod?

WTF? Really? Dale66 send me your source for this insane statement as i'm not sure where to 'Look into it'.
  14. the gambler

Islander MR3 drag

This. I've used MR3's (4 of them) exclusively for 10 years and never had an issue like this. That's one of the things i love about them, the drag isn't super sensitive.
  15. the gambler

Regulations Unclear Regarding Chinook Retention

That's info from 2019 just so you know.
  16. the gambler

ISO North Island boat rental

Gotta ask. After all these prerequisites, why do you not need/care about radar?
  17. the gambler

Square prawn traps

Box traps out-fish rounds at least 2-1 for me. Tried all sorts of setups with both but square always wins..... I fish Brentwood Bay every year in Dec. (not so many folks out there "helping" me when it's so cold!)
  18. the gambler

Salmon downrigger setups

? What the hell? No, you will not 'catch more fish focusing your attention on one downrigger rather than trying to manage two'. With all due respect Sharphooks, this is bad advice for the OP. And really? Put your money in a good sonar ($50 bucks !!) rather than a 2nd downrigger? Sorry, but no...
  19. the gambler

2021 Sooke Reports

1 Chinook (wild or hatch) 45cm to 80cm in size, 2 hatchery coho, and up to 4 pink, and 4 salmon max total per day. No wild coho, no sockeye.
  20. the gambler

Looking for Anchovies! Victoria

Hey everyone. Looking to try and find 1/2 a case (or whatever!) of Anchovies. I know it's a long shot currently but gotta try.... Cheers! James 250 483 4383
Back