Search results

1. mbowers

Southern Resident Whales - New Study Released Nature, Extinction in 75-100 years

Here's Eagle Wing Tours in the Basin last week harassing the hell out of a killer whale. The big boat sat in ambush off Billings Spit for a while and forced it to swim within 50m of them. Then they chased it around and eventually drove right over it. If they behave like this in front of a...
  2. mbowers

2024 Sooke Reports

Unclipped fish have a full set of fins so not surprisingly they fight better. If someone cut off some of my toes I probably would not move as fast either.
  3. mbowers

2024 Sooke Reports

Fished today from 10am to 3pm from Secretary to Otter from 110ft to 140ft. Slowish but steady bite until 2pm. No particular spot seemed better. Needlefish spatterback hoochie and a 3in white/chrome spoon produced about the same. Lost two decent fish at the boat and landed two small keepers...
  4. mbowers

2023 Sooke Reports

Today was also phenomenal weather. Picked up Covid on a flight before Xmas and so was forced to fish solo. I counted 15 boats off Sooke Harbour. Very slow fishing for me. Tried deeper (130ft) / shallower (80ft), faster / slower and big spoons / small spoons but only managed a few shakers...
  5. mbowers

Rigging question

I always put a spacer of 1/2in black starboard / plastic between separator housing and the wall it is mounted on. That way you can get fingers or wrench around the filter and hopefully avoid cross threading the new filter like mechanic did on my boat. Was fun to find that a year later when I...
  6. mbowers

2023 Sooke Reports

Fished 11-3 on Sunday off the harbour. Slow action but found 2 keeper size springs and maybe 8 shakers or undersize. Fished 110-140ft on the bottom and more hits came in the deeper water. Saw 2 other boats out.
  7. mbowers

Salmon Head Recovery Program - Post results here

I submit every head from my boat under one number so I don't have to fill out contact details on every head submitted. One head had a tag from Chilliwack River last Oct. Nothing had tags from the winter fish.
  8. mbowers

SRKW new favorite food is now coho

Not surprised that an Alaskan Seafood Development Association would not mention the billion ocean ranched pinks from Alaska competing with chinook for food as a possible cause of smaller chinook. Orcas eating large chinook is a completely natural part of ecosystem and did not shrink the...
  9. mbowers

2023 Sooke Reports

Nice weather for the this morning starting at 9am that got even better by noon. Started off the trailer park which produced one small keeper spring and a couple undersize. Dozens of harbour porpoises at the surface chasing bait. Moved close to Possession and found faster action. Three better...
  10. mbowers

2023 Sooke Reports

Good luck getting that to happen in Sooke. More likely to get seal birth control happening like the public demands for the deer instead of the smart choice of hunting. We could stop feeding the seals carcasses at marinas and when we dump crab bait. Put it in a green bin, compost it or freeze...
  11. mbowers

CTOW Victoria reviews

I was just a passenger but I think it was around $250 for the 3km.
  12. mbowers

CTOW Victoria reviews

I would recommend a tow over a jump start if you do use them. Was drifting at the Gap and battery was too weak to start the motor. CTow came over and offered a free jump for non member which we tried. No luck and motor didn't even try to start. Then CTow charged for a tow back to Cattle...
  13. mbowers

Anyone add an Icemaker?

I would guess the 110v? ice maker will consume a lot more power for the same amount of cooling. If you want ice for drinks then get the ice maker otherwise I would expect the 12v cooler will be more efficient.
  14. mbowers

That Alaskan Grizzly Bear Cam is Back Up

One location was also useful as a human cam. Hiker on bear cam
  15. mbowers

Incompetent whale watching boat operation

Good to see somebody make one of them accountable for reckless boating. "Prince of Whales Holdings Ltd. was found to have operated its vessel in an incompetent manner" https://www.nsnews.com/highlights/bc-whale-watching-operator-owes-boater-new-barbecue-7358168
  16. mbowers

Knot for braid to gangion?

I got 4 months use on the new swivel on one tuna cord setup and also a crimp pulled on another one. Switched from in-house marine store version to Scotty version and so far so good..
  17. mbowers

Bow eye cracks....help please

Just like many won't know the motor is mounted improperly to a curved transom like my Egret was or that the dealer only used 4 bolts when 6 are recommended until something breaks..
  18. mbowers

Bow eye cracks....help please

Looks like there might be no backing plate behind that. Happened to a friend where boat builder forgot to install one. The eye also looks on the small side. If you can correctly fit in a larger bow eye with thicker metal after repairing like @Foxsea mentions would be easier to get safety...
  19. mbowers

35 years after, by Bob Hooton. A salmon crisis is here!

Unless the international politics change I think the nuclear option is our only scientific option to have any fish available to catch. Wild salmon and steelhead are remarkably prolific when they are given a chance. Chinook are invasive and grow to huge sizes in Chile. Chile has 25 or more...
Back