Search results

1. Pursuit

2020 Gulf Island Reports

Fished Salamanca over the tide change today and it was non stop on shakers Also released a ling. Shakers really liked green flashers trailing a white hootchie or AP herring spoon. Nothing liked my favourite plug. Between 50’ and 80’ on the down rigger. One other troller ( doing the shaker thing...
  2. Pursuit

2020 Gulf Island Reports

Want to check on Area 18-2. From my reading of the regs. all of 18.2 is open to fishing and retention including to the East of a line between Helen Pt. and Enterprise Reef. Have I got this right?
  3. Pursuit

Tipping a Guide

My own gear on a guide boat. Just love the sound it makes when a Spring takes a long run. I'd also like to think it's a little tougher to use than those new fancy pants, set the drag once and leave it reels. Try adjusting the drag on this puppy when on a fish : )
  4. Pursuit

2020 Haida Gwaii Reports

Spoke with them Wednesday and it sounds like they are ready to go under Phase 3 with a good plan for going through Masset without entering the airport but it all needs to be cleared by the Haida Nation which seems reasonable. They thought they'd have a better idea next week. We are scheduled to...
  5. Pursuit

Ling Cod - pin bones and recipes

Fantastic. The Ling fillets [ya, I did'em like salmon :) ] I have left in the freezer are skin on so I'll give this the video try along with "Reeltimes' " recipe. Thank y'all! What a great site!
  6. Pursuit

Ling Cod - pin bones and recipes

So how do I get the pin bones out of Ling Cod fillets?! I started with tweezers and ended up with needle nose pliers and found it virtually impossible to get them out. They are like tough plastic spears. What am I doing wrong? And then how about sharing a favourite recipe. At this point I'm...
  7. Pursuit

2020 Gulf Island Reports

Spent a couple of hours yesterday fishing the afternoon tide at Collinson Pt. A fair bit of feed but had only 1 swing and miss, on the retrieve right at the surface. Tried to fish Salamanca but a little too much rock and roll.
  8. Pursuit

2020 Haida Gwaii Reports

A thoughtful and helpful assessment advTHXance. Thanks. Some thoughts from one of those ‘Old Guy’ guests - a Canadian living in BC. I’ve been fishing Langara for about 40 years, unguided in my younger days off of the MV Mirabel and others, guided more recently and have a trip booked again this...
  9. Pursuit

2019 Haida Gwaii Reports

ILHG ~ Thank you! What a fantastic bunch of reports. Really. Filled with information, excitement and suspense ~ just great. I'm going up to a lodge there this weekend and feeling like a wimp.
  10. Pursuit

2018 Gulf Island Reports

"Fished the boundary of the closure from nose point to horda shoal yesterday morn. Lost one and got one on a hootchy with the deep six." Thanks for this Tugcapitan!
  11. Pursuit

Conservation Measures for Northern and Southern BC Chinook Salmon and Southern Resident Killer Whale

Thanks for this Agentaqua - I read that research and couldn't really understand it - this helps a lot but can you provide some implications regarding 1. A trolling speed; 2. A 4 or 5knt speed of an outboard on a boat following orcas in the suggested exclusion zone? As I've been approached by...
  12. Pursuit

Seals effects

More data on seal predation in Georgia Strait/Salish Sea is available. Have a look at the Pacific Salmon Foundation's "Salish Sea Marine Survival Project" page 1: "Results from juvenile salmon predation studies included: initial estimates that Harbour seals in the Strait of Georgia are...
  13. Pursuit

2018 Pender Bluffs

Hi Ziggy ~ thought you might be interested in some of the data and sources in my letter. Keep up the pressure.
  14. Pursuit

IMPORTANT NOTE FROM SFI-BC & SVIAC Re: FISHING REGS

I sent this letter and an email today to Domenic LeBlanc, Catherine McKenna, our provincial government and various sport fishing organizations. I've only addressed Area 18 issues - it's where I fish and where I could find data to make relevant arguments. Basically it says DFO's most recently...
  15. Pursuit

Suggestions for calm water fishing inside the islands

Try along the west side of Galliano Island [on the Salt Spring side] just to your right as you exit Active Pass, troll down to a really large boulder then loop back to the entrance to the pass. It's often quite calm in that area.
  16. Pursuit

2018 Sidney Reports

And I'll add another thank you for all your reports [and advice!] Advance - very much appreciated. Best of luck up in Haida Gwaii - wonder how AP's would work up there vs cut plug :)
  17. Pursuit

2018 Sidney Reports

Salmon seem to love AP spoons [ anchovy or herring]! It looks like you have a swivel just in front of the spoon is that correct?
  18. Pursuit

2018 Gulf Island Reports

Salamanca this morning for a very slow ebb. Lots of bait and fish in the 7 to 10lb range. Picked up 3 (kept 1), another 5 boats looked like all got fish. AP anchovie spoon, lime green with green flasher was the winner and 100 to 150’ with 15 lb. ball. Solo, so at times it was like a one legged...
  19. Pursuit

2018 OFFICIAL Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Sorry to be thick but does this mean "...portions of 29-3 TO 29-5" or "...portions of 29-3 AND 29-5"? If the first wouldn't that exclude 29-5.
  20. Pursuit

2018 Gulf Island Reports

1st day out this year. Was at Salamanca for the tide change around noon ~ 4/5 other boats saw a couple of smallish fish caught ( which was better than my none-ish ). Not much bait, water light brown, no algae, but lots of nasty weed came with the ebb. Highlight was 2 Humpbacks that cruised by...
Back