Bunks or rollers?

Thanks for input.
Hybrid it is.
Just have to figure out if I need the 2000lb model or 2300lb.
Probably the 2300 as it looks to have extra set of rollers and will be good if/ when boat needs repower.

image.png I started last weekend changin the back rollers to bunks. Makin my own ubolts, took a couple trys but got it figured out.

I had a bunk/roller trailer for my DE and I loved it.....as said "best of both worlds" for an under 20' boat

My boat is 14.5 welded aluminum.I had rollers on the Allspeed aluminum trailer and the rollers left dents in the boat where rollers where.Replaced the rollers with 8 foot 2x4 bunks and ended up breaking the welds that hold the seats in and having left hair line cracks in the bottom of boat that needed welding.Replaced the 2x4 bunks with 2x10 from transom 8 feet forward and double layer of beaber carpet ,now I need to repaint the bottom of the boat as the bunks took all the paint off.I wish I could trust loading and tying /strapping the boat full of camp/fishing gear, and traillering down gravel roads without breaking stuff .As I understood rollers bruise the fiberglass hulls.fc

My boat is 14.5 welded aluminum.I had rollers on the Allspeed aluminum trailer and the rollers left dents in the boat where rollers where.Replaced the rollers with 8 foot 2x4 bunks and ended up breaking the welds that hold the seats in and having left hair line cracks in the bottom of boat that needed welding.Replaced the 2x4 bunks with 2x10 from transom 8 feet forward and double layer of beaber carpet ,now I need to repaint the bottom of the boat as the bunks took all the paint off.I wish I could trust loading and tying /strapping the boat full of camp/fishing gear, and traillering down gravel roads without breaking stuff .As I understood rollers bruise the fiberglass hulls.fc

My old school heavy hand laid glass hull has no roller caused damage/bruises, but it never gets bounced on bad roads. If you want to get a smaller boat into isolated locations on unpaved/bad roads/4x4 trails, perhaps a quality Zodiac type inflatable boat in the back of a pickup would be an option. Not all small welded Al boats are created equal. Some have much thinner Al plate to lower manufacturing costs.

Last edited:
Thanks Rockfish ,I don't have a dezire to have a small zodiac ,one poor cast and missplaced hook left me at 12 years of age scrambling to the shore with my finger in the hole .Maybe a double walled aluminum self baling riveted Grummond of equal size.like the post rockfish as you have compared structure of fiberglass between now and then .Knock on a hull of a 17.5' DE now, compared to then and you will hear the tone you wish to make music with going down the road or slaping through the chop.

Thanks Rockfish ,I don't have a dezire to have a small zodiac ,one poor cast and missplaced hook left me at 12 years of age scrambling to the shore with my finger in the hole . .

LOL Yeah those childhood traumas will stick with you. If money is no object you could always get one of those special forces military type Kevlar inflatables. If bullets bounce off them, they should be good for fishhooks.

Again, same boat, 17.5 DE, any thoughts on comparing RoadRunner, Highliner or any others?
Thx in advance.
RM

Lots of opinions on the quality of roadrunner but the one I bought last year is a very simple solid trailer and works great on my double eagle no buyers remorse or regrets if I had it to do again would do the same thing

Just need o decide on trailer size now.
I am thinking 2300 series. (2300lb)
The 2500 is another $500.

Boat with motors is about 1800lb

Which model did you get @Cmiles?

I was assuming the 2000 when I started looking and budgeting.
Decided I would need to move up to 2300 which is about $500 more.
Really don't want to go 2500 for another $500 unless necessary.

I have the same boat and bought a 2450 for it last year. All rollers.

Last edited:
You don't have to have brakes, but for a few extra dollars they will put the brackets on the axle should you ever feel the need to install them at a later date.

Ordered the 2450 with bunks and rollers.
Pros: heavier axle, heavier springs, larger bearings, heavier capacity, 2 feet longer so should reach the water sooner so truck stays out.
Cons: 180lb heavier, 2 feet longer for storage, more $$

Good for another 38 years.

Stand by for used trailer in Buy Sell. Needs some TLC but easy project for someone with time and skills.

Thanks for all the input.

Tips

Hey Tips, a couple of pics of my 2450 "narrow" with all rollers.

Attachments

• Boatontrailer.JPG
    Boatontrailer.JPG
    361 KB · Views: 30
  • Boatontrailer2.JPG
    Boatontrailer2.JPG
    503.9 KB · Views: 30
Back