Scotty Downrigger Installation

Waterwolf2230

Hey fellas,

Based on the information that I have received on this forum I purchased 2 Blue Seas 187 Series 30A Circuit Breakers for my Scotty 2116 HP downriggers. I was just reading through the manual and it suggests a 30A inline fuse...is this in addition to the Circuit Breaker? I'm assuming that the 187 Circuit Breaker takes the place but wanted to be for certain.

Thanks,

Curtis

Attachments

• Blue Seas 187 Circuit Breaker.JPG
    Blue Seas 187 Circuit Breaker.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 15
That is correct... but make sure you are using a heavier gauge wire... a circuit breaker is usually good for at least 150% of its rating before it goes.. this can cause enough heat to burn up the wiring.... using a breaker is a better idea than a fuse however.... just remember that if it pops and the line is down.. .you usually can't just reset instantly.. they need to cool down. some breakers will allow you to "override" them by holding them in reset position..

if you are using a circuit breaker for each rigger than you shouldn't need the inline fuse. As far as i understand it people suggest the breaker so that you dont need to replace fuses.

Thanks, I have Ancor 10G tinned marine wire. Does it matter how close to the battery that circuit breaker is? I have a pretty cool battery switch system in my boat. I have 2 dual purpose Optima AGM batteries (1 for each outboard) plus 1 deep cycle AGM house battery. The switch system has all sorts of redundancy built in.

Ace line hauler recommends a 40A fuse. If you plan on using a puller you might want to change your plan to accommodate that.

if your running straight off your battery the fuse or breaker should be within a foot of the battery from what i remember.

Fuses are a better option than circuit breakers as the operate faster and are quick and easy to replace. While it may be convenient to simply reset a breaker, as @ronj pointed out it may take some time before its ready to go. Also, they don't have an infinite life and will need to be replaced anyway if they are regularly being reset, and you can switch to a 40A fuse when using a Brutus and the 30A is blowing (trust me...).

You can use the following for wiring in your downriggers to keep everything organized. I'd also run the lead after the house battery switch so it is not "hot" all the time.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5028/ST_Blade_Fuse_Block_-_6_Circuits_with_Cover

Last edited:
Just to clarify on the fuse versus breaker... I feel my comment about resetting may have put a negative twist on breakers...
A fuse can pop with lower draw than its rated for if the current comes at it too quickly... like a "burst" so to speak... its the same reason a light bulb can blow when you turn it on versus while it is turned on..
A breaker will blow only when it overheats... which is either by too big a load.. or too much draw.... so at the end of the day.. your fuse may pop without a "real" reason.... while if a breaker goes... it is protecting something... and although you may have to wait for a reset... it is probably quicker than wrapping your fuse in tin foil or finding another.
There is a reason that houses are protected by breakers rather than fuses....
My 3 cents worth....
Ron.

Eel I got my 2 x 2116’s installed for the most part today. My buddy is making me an aluminum bracket for the circuit breakers so they can be within a foot of my house battery. The downrigger mounts are impressively strong. Do you guys use dielectric grease in your Scotty plugs?

Attachments

• 5020CD4D-75E3-4074-AE85-F060BE804DB4.jpeg
    5020CD4D-75E3-4074-AE85-F060BE804DB4.jpeg
    286.3 KB · Views: 110
  • EACE86D5-3A91-469E-994E-3CBC813E9215.jpeg
    EACE86D5-3A91-469E-994E-3CBC813E9215.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 106
Geez,what's that white stuff on the ground? I put a stainless allen head machine screw in one of the swivel hold down holes to deter thieves.If they happen to have the right size allen wrench with them, I'm out of luck but not likely.

Geez,what's that white stuff on the ground? I put a stainless allen head machine screw in one of the swivel hold down holes to deter thieves.If they happen to have the right size allen wrench with them, I'm out of luck but not likely.
Great idea! This has been the worst spring that I can ever remember. Global cooling??? Lol. It’s really cutting into the time I can spend outside working on my boat. My motors are being installed on Friday and I have a lot to do before then!

Boats and cars are a closer match than a boat and a house. Why do all the automakers use fuses? Because they do a better job at protecting delicate electronics. Breakers are more for keeping wiring in a home from becoming to hot from to much load or a dead short. They aren't there to protect your TV, Laptop or any of your digital appliances that will likely fry before a breaker trips for a power surge. I have 25 amp fuses for the older one belt riggers. I carry a bunch of 25 amp spares along with spares for all the other sizes that are in my fuse panels.

In my experience as an electrician I have found that fused protection is superior to a circuit breaker for two reasons:
1- Fuses blow out due to an excessive amount of current.They are sized to allow for inrush current, but not high enough to prevent them from blowing in a fault condition. Circuit breakers are a thermal magnetic style trip and have a time delay curve that is designed to ignore the effects of inrush current that occurs the instant a motor is activated. This delay also comes into play even after the motor has been started and running, impairing its function up to a third of a second( depending on the manufacturing quality). That is enough time to superheat wires and damage wiring.
2- Being resettable, circuit breakers are subject to degradation and failure over time. This failure does not always result in an open circuit, as the trip components can weld together over time, without you even knowing. Fuses are a "one and done", meaning you have a brand new circuit protector every time you replace the fuse.
Not trying to down play breakers, as they do work reliably, but if one prefers to err on the side of safety, my recommendation is fuses.
And please, for the love of God, Size your wires properly!

I ran a hot wire from my accessory switch up front back to the battery to 2 x 40 amp automotive relays. Hooked up the relays to ground and direct battery power with a 30 amp(I think) fuse in between. Then have the hot downrigger wire to the relay and the negative direct to battery ground. All I have to do is flip my acc switch up front and it turns the downrigger power off and on(along with all the other accessories I wired to it). The acc switch is wired to the battery selector so everything still shuts off when the battery switch is turned off.

The reason you need a 30amp fuse in the downrigger circuit is not to protect the motor in the downrigger from burning out. It is there to prevent the wiring from getting too hot and melting the wiring with the resultant often disasterous results.. The downrigger motor is protected by an internal auto reset circuit breaker 12 amps in the 1100, and 20 amps in the HP and prawn/crab puller. I now agree with those who suggest staying with fuses as circuit protection.

Back