Rafe Mair Wanders On...

He was one of the last great broadcasters that weren't afraid to be opinionated. Bill Good and others followed that were/are too nice and don't make people answer tough questions like Rafe could. Loved the guy.

I had a couple of good interactions with him when he was on CKNW but this was my favorite.

During the Kemano Completion battle he had the spokesman for the United Fisherman and Allied Workers Union on his show who was all supportive about Rafe's campaign and the Rivers Defense Coalition then chaired by Pat Moss who were heavily involved also.

A couple of days earlier I had written a cheque for $2,000.00 from the Campbell River Branch of the SSBC and sent it off to Pat as she had no funds to travel to meetings being held in Vancouver from where she lived. We'd been informed of that problem and brought it to a meeting where the donation was approved.

I faxed Rafe during that show and asked him to ask the UFAWU guy how much money the union had donated to the cause and told him about the two grand our branch had just sent Pat Moss for travel expenses etc.

Rafe asked him my question and read my fax to him, which embarrassed him no end as he stuttered for an answer.

Naturally, the union hadn't given Pat or anyone else a nickel but confined their contributions to having spokespeople on talk shows and writing articles in their magazine.

Not un-typical.

R.I.P. Rafe and thanks for the memories.

Take care.

Back