live herring

Sure sounds like liveys were a blast. Man I missed out
Dogfish queered the whole thing they were everywhere for a while and you could drop 5 bucks in 20 minutes for nothing when they moved in-that and dropping Salmon populations meant trolling to find fish became more productive.

Ironically since then there's been an uptick in the price paid for Dogfish and now numbers on the Inside are noticeably lower.

If you couldn't get live bait in the old days strip was sometimes mooched. Or here's one of the long forgotten arts, "Strip Casting". My dad was fond of strip casting, but I'm sure there's not many guys left alive that used that method.

If you couldn't get live bait in the old days strip was sometimes mooched. Or here's one of the long forgotten arts, "Strip Casting". My dad was fond of strip casting, but I'm sure there's not many guys left alive that used that method.
Strip casting at Thrasher Rock, almost forgot that technique...

Still have # 8 and 6 trebles in one of the tackle boxes. Maybe i'll find a use for them someday. Tips above are about right. Limber tip rods were used, as said above, idea was that the spring would sick in the herring, then swim upward. You were watching for the fish to take the weight of the sinker off the rod. Most relaxed fishing you can have.
lol....
new guy " hey why's the line floating all over the surface?"

Motor mooching liveys off cape mudge with a couple hundred other whalers, could practically walk across the boats and if you were lucky there was a breeze so you had some oxygen mixed with the two stroke smoke.

Can't say I miss that too much, however it was productive.

We had an interesting day last year fishing livies off Lasquetiti. We were anchored in a pretty good chop and were down to the last two livies. We wanted to fish a third rod off the back so rigged the rod with a cut plug setup. The next two hits (lost one, landed one) came of the back rod - just a cut plug bouncing around in the chop!

Back