2016 Alpine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament

Yes, many thanks to Chris and Rollie for all there hard word organizing this event. Many obstacles to maneuver around this year, but there persistent hard work is proof of there dedication to the cause. Thanks again guy's and to all the volunteer's and sponsor's !!

We had a post derby meeting last Thursday to go over this years event and to get an idea of how well we did financially. We are still waiting for an invoice from the Songhee's which includes the building rental and the caterer's fees so we could only estimate totals costs. It looks like we will come out between $12,000 and $12,500 to the good. This money will be directed to SVIAC's Sooke Chinook net pen project. The dates for next years event will be announced soon. We are looking for 2 or 3 more tournament committee volunteers who can help out with a few tasks. We are also looking for a tournament chairperson to manage and oversee this event. I'm reducing my involvement next year to tasks that are done prior to the summer fishing season.

LOL.....Jerrod. One of our board members suggested that the work I did should be worth $10,000.00 the rest of the board said $20,000.00 would be more realistic. At that figure they agreed I would have made $5.00 an hour. A bit of an exaggeration but I did put in many many hours and that is the reason why we are asking for more committee members so that no one person is overwhelmed with too many tasks. The chair is a volunteer position as are all the derby positions. The only monies I received were reimbursements for direct costs out of my pocket to purchase supplies and prizes.

LOL.....Jerrod. One of our board members suggested that the work I did should be worth $10,000.00 the rest of the board said $20,000.00 would be more realistic. At that figure they agreed I would have made $5.00 an hour. A bit of an exaggeration but I did put in many many hours and that is the reason why we are asking for more committee members so that no one person is overwhelmed with too many tasks. The chair is a volunteer position as are all the derby positions. The only monies I received were reimbursements for direct costs out of my pocket to purchase supplies and prizes.

I wasn't implying you made money off it. I was replying to calmsea. And yes we all face the same issue each year with running these events. Having reliable volunteers is key.

I knew you were responding to calmseas. I was just adding info to back you up.

Just putting up our sponsor thank you poster which all all tournament sponsors will have in hand in a few days to display. I received some good news today from a new sponsor for 2016's event. Bernie from Prancing Horse Autobody was so impressed with the tournament this year that he wants to increase his support for the tournament and the Chinook project SVIAC is working on. He intends to once again be a Platinum Sponsor at the $1500.00 level. Next year he wants to throw in a paint job worth up to $5,000.00!!! I suggested that we live auction it off as that would ensure the bidders really do have a need for the prize. The monies raised would go straight to the Chinook project as well. Bernie liked the idea as he wants funds raised for the Sooke River Chinook project. We have confirmed the dates for next years event are August 12th and 13th.

Not sure why the pic is on its side...photobucket turned it on its own...it has an edit function which I used to turn it upright again...applied and substitute for the original...when I copied it the poster was upright. pasted it here and back on its side??????

I would like to welcome and thank Seastar Solutions for confirming their support and sponsorship of the 2017 event with a hydraulic steering system with a value of over to $1000.00 US.

I just recieved confirmation that SOG Knives will be supporting the tournament in 2017 with some product. It will be a mystery box so a bit like an early Christmas present.

Dates are already confirmed and mentioned above. The website will be updated soon. August 12th and 13th. My goal is to have $150,000.00 on the prize table in 2017. I think its possible, it just involves finding the time to contact as many businesses as possible.

Last edited:
Back