Podding

The hole will be covered with aluminum plate on the outside. I expect i'll be able to see it easily enough from inside to check that everything looks right. I'll make a hatch cover over the engine well and a vertical piece at the transom with a door in it. I'm planning to use painted epoxy coated plywood similar to Shermanator made for his boat. It looks good and seems simple enough.

When looking for repower, do some reading on the engine series the unit you're considering came from. You want the biggest engine in the series because it will have the best power-to-weight ratio. For instance, my old OMC V4 crossflow 2 stroke is a 1.7 L powerhead and that engine configuration was used for everything from 75 hp to 140 hp, with changes in carb jet orifices being the only difference between them all. I love that my 140 hp weighs just 300 lb but I would suspect that the 75 horse from the same year would be a bit of a dog because it still weighs 300 lb. It also stands to reason that the bang for the buck is better on the larger engines in the range too; poor guy with the 75 hp paid for powerhead, leg and electricals engineered for up to double the horsepower he received. I don't know specifics on the more modern engines but I doubt that much has changed, it's still uneconomical for engine builders to have a different powerhead platform for each of the engine sizes in its lineup. Changes to EFI and engine management to give the right hp to match the decal and there you go. So you want a 135 or 150 hp that's the biggest of the 4 cyl lineup rather than the smallest of the 6 cyl series, you'll get more for the money.

I put the kicker on that side for a few reasons... First is weight distribution, I am often out with a group of three and never alone so I have two passengers on the port side and just me on the starboard. The second reason is rigging. All the fuel, controls and steering have to come across from the starboard side and I need a clear swimgrid area for use when diving and a cooler mount. The third reason is maintenance, my boat is parked up against a corner in the fence. I can't get to the kicker easily when its on the port side so it will be easier to access and flush from the starboard side. It will have a few disadvantages too, but hopefully none are insurmountable.

^ I like a carefully considered plan! Looks great.

Keep on posting I am watching thread if I ever consider a pod option on malibu...Looks like we have same year. My kicker is on same side and have issues with boat tilting when I am alone.. Trim tabs in my case would probably solve, and with pod you would be fine.

BTW is your doghouse in good shape? Just let me know if your getting rid of it..The one I have the upholstery is hooped...

Hi Spring, the boat is a 94. Should be picking it up tomorrow night and I'll take some more pics then. I do have tabs, but they of course don't work while trolling. I'll dial it in as close as possible with the batteries and canonball storage.

I think the dog house is in good shape (been a while since I looked at her now). Its still on the boat so I'll send you a pick when I get it back.

If I were to do another project boat, it would be this route - ideally an I/O hardtop with a fatal drive train failure but decent condition hull that could be podded. Oh what fun I could have. So if I stop posting suddenly, you'll know I bought another project boat and my wife has subsequently killed me and concealed the body.

Hi Spring, the boat is a 94. Should be picking it up tomorrow night and I'll take some more pics then. I do have tabs, but they of course don't work while trolling. I'll dial it in as close as possible with the batteries and canonball storage.

I think the dog house is in good shape (been a while since I looked at her now). Its still on the boat so I'll send you a pick when I get it back.

Almost same mines 92...... Same interior etc....

hi wwunder i have a malibu 185 aswell. 1990 vintage. curently in the final stages of floor repair. i am putting a pod on it and just wondering if your floatation section of the pod goes right to the bottom of the hull and how far out from the transom does your motor bracket sit. any info greatly appreciated

Got her home tonight. The base of the pod goes just over the garboard drain.

Seems solid and we'll thought out.

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1439527688727.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439527688727.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 561
  • uploadfromtaptalk1439527700562.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439527700562.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 562
  • uploadfromtaptalk1439527722924.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439527722924.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 563
One more pic...

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1439527898144.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1439527898144.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 564
Hi Neon, I'm aiming for something like a 130 to 150 four stroke... I haven't completely ruled out a 115, but definitely prefer the higher HP range.

I'm hoping to do the same to my boat. With your OB motor tilted up, what is the distance from the transom to the tip of the propellor. My boat is too big to take out of the water regularly and morale costs are an issue.

HI Graeme, obviously your boat is four times the size of mine. The pods are typically about 28" to 30" setback (so the motor can tilt without hitting the transom). Then depending on your shaft length you are probably 3.5' to 4.5' beyond the pod. I would start by checking the shaft length you will need and go from there.

Well, the 150 Verado is mounted and had a successful sea trial tonight.

The boat hopped up on plane and easily exceeded 40 mph.

Sent from my Leap using Tapatalk 2IMG_20150919_114013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back