Cleaning boat covers

Sea Chaser

Crew Member
Hey guys it’s that time of year to take off the covers and get out in the boat. What do you guys do to clean off the mildew and stains off of mooring cover . Also have had my slope down cover on for a bit and getting lots of pollen crap on it. What’s the best way to clean these off ?

I know I should store the boat in a covered area but just isn’t the option for me at this time so it’s exposed to the elements

Thx

Can you take it to a laundromat and use a big machine? I washed mine at home but i just covers the centre console area, it worked well, used some pre wash spray on tough areas. Pressure wash in place works but can be disastrous if not careful.

Hey guys it’s that time of year to take off the covers and get out in the boat. What do you guys do to clean off the mildew and stains off of mooring cover . Also have had my slope down cover on for a bit and getting lots of pollen crap on it. What’s the best way to clean these off ?

I know I should store the boat in a covered area but just isn’t the option for me at this time so it’s exposed to the elements

Thx

I Use a mildew spray Mildew Control. Spray and let it work for a day or two. It needs to be dry. Then I’ll wash both sides with dawn. Dry then treat with 303 Spray Treatment (green bottle). Allow to dry. It restores the waterproofing.

Before & After. Works well. About 4 hours start to finish. Nothing like some sun & wind to help dry things. Usually do it overnight but was under the gun but surprised how well it turned out. Spray with mold killer, dry, wash with dawn soap, let dry, spray with 303, let dry.

Attachments

• IMG_9767.jpeg
    IMG_9767.jpeg
    285.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9774.jpeg
    IMG_9774.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_9775.jpeg
    IMG_9775.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_9776.jpeg
    IMG_9776.jpeg
    157.4 KB · Views: 29
Before & After. Works well. About 4 hours start to finish. Nothing like some sun & wind to help dry things. Usually do it overnight but was under the gun but surprised how well it turned out. Spray with mold killer, dry, wash with dawn soap, let dry, spray with 303, let dry.
Looks like a good job for the wife while I’m at my actual job 😆

Ya it ain’t cheap. Costco has 2x946ml for $65 on the website. Still the best price. HC sells one 946ml for $50. I used almost a whole one for my Bimini/sloped canopy for a 185.

Ya it ain’t cheap. Costco has 2x946ml for $65 on the website. Still the best price. HC sells one 946ml for $50. I used almost a whole one for my Bimini/sloped canopy for a 185.
I think SC’s point was about Costco’s stock level. That combo won’t be available until mid June. It’s crazy how expensive it’s become. Used to buy a bottle from our local marine shop for around $30.

to recondition or "seal" , best thing i have used over the years is melting wax toilet rings with boiled linseed oil.. warm it up and brush it on. use a heat gun to get it saturated into the fabric.

to recondition or "seal" , best thing i have used over the years is melting wax toilet rings with boiled linseed oil.. warm it up and brush it on. use a heat gun to get it saturated into the fabric.
Funny didn't see that one in the Sunbrella maintenance guide... But, that's a pretty old school approach for waxed canvas (I think it would be a royal mess on a modern synthetic though)

Funny didn't see that one in the Sunbrella maintenance guide... But, that's a pretty old school approach for waxed canvas (I think it would be a royal mess on a modern synthetic though)
nope, works great on modern synthetic. even more so if is broken down by uv etc.. using a heat gun and a paint brush to work it in.

Back