2024 Gulf Island Reports

Anyone been fishing recently? I'll be towing my fishing boat to Otter Bay and hoping to see the gang - anywhere in 18-6? I see it's the only area open for retention
Around Coal Island is probably your best bet to get into a hatch. Moresby is good too. I tried Tent Isl in 17-6 on Thursday, just a few unders nothing special. Usually mostly wilds there anyways I find.
Then it was off to the honey holes to get some dinner. Tis the season for lings.
Bonus orca show Thu afternoon thru active pass.

Attachments

• IMG_5125.jpeg
    IMG_5125.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_5126.jpeg
    IMG_5126.jpeg
    184.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_5119.jpeg
    IMG_5119.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_5117.jpeg
    IMG_5117.jpeg
    411.2 KB · Views: 151
Around Coal Island is probably your best bet to get into a hatch. Moresby is good too. I tried Tent Isl in 17-6 on Thursday, just a few unders nothing special. Usually mostly wilds there anyways I find.
Then it was off to the honey holes to get some dinner. Tis the season for lings.
Bonus orca show Thu afternoon thru active pass.
Glad to hear that bro!

I'll be up in Otter bay end of the month. Hoping for some king action and lings. I have a couple good spots in that area too

I had zero luck fishing for salmon this last Friday in various spots in area 19, but we did get to see a bunch of orcas (including very young ones) who came by off the SE corner of Sidney Island. Then it was up to 18 to try for a Ling so that my day wouldn't be a total blank - and this 8lb monster obliged for my 1st of the year.
ling.jpg

Apologies as this is a request not a report. We (UVic and PSF) are doing some work investigating resident herring in the Strait of Georgia. Residents are herring that spend the summer in the Strait when they are adults (about 6 inches or longer). Most herring migrate to WCVI as adults. Small juvenile herring are pretty much everywhere in the SoG... but adults are a bit harder to find in summer. We are aware of the big, deep aggregations in the northern SoG (like Kitty Coleman, Cape Mudge etc...) we are interested in whether there are similar aggregations around the Southern Gulf Islands, anywhere from Nanaimo down to the US border (including on the east side of the island line). We are looking for locations that would be surveyed with a Scientific Echosounder and sampled with jigging and cameras (we have been successful jigging herring as deep as 300 feet using a sabiki rig and mooching weight). Any tips would be appreciated, Thanks! Will.

Apologies as this is a request not a report. We (UVic and PSF) are doing some work investigating resident herring in the Strait of Georgia. Residents are herring that spend the summer in the Strait when they are adults (about 6 inches or longer). Most herring migrate to WCVI as adults. Small juvenile herring are pretty much everywhere in the SoG... but adults are a bit harder to find in summer. We are aware of the big, deep aggregations in the northern SoG (like Kitty Coleman, Cape Mudge etc...) we are interested in whether there are similar aggregations around the Southern Gulf Islands, anywhere from Nanaimo down to the US border (including on the east side of the island line). We are looking for locations that would be surveyed with a Scientific Echosounder and sampled with jigging and cameras (we have been successful jigging herring as deep as 300 feet using a sabiki rig and mooching weight). Any tips would be appreciated, Thanks! Will.

The hump off French Creek would be one very obvious spot to try.

The trenches on the outside of Entrance Island would be another.

Thank you! I am wondering about Tumbo Channel or the deep troughs off Active Pass as well. Wondering if anyone has experience in these areas
The hump off French Creek would be one very obvious spot to try.

The trenches on the outside of Entrance Island would be another.

I pulled up an undersized lingcod near Wain rock that had adult herring in its stomach on May 1st. It was in about 100' on the inlet side of the rock.

Back