What Did You Do To Your Boat This Week?

Bottom paint! I kind of miss the days when I could keep my boat on a trailer and just launch for the day or for the trip then pull out. With a bigger boat it stays wet slipped and looks like 10 miles of bad road once the marine growth starts doing its thing

So much for the “non-toxic” non-cuprous stuff

IMG_2137.jpeg

But it sure looked sexy once I removed the tape….

IMG_2138.jpeg

IMG_2139.jpeg

Finally got the AIS GPS puck properly mounted on the interior of the wheelhouse roof. There was just no way I was going to mount it on the exterior and deal with drilling holes, especially with all the solar panels up there now

It’s been sitting on the console and worked just fine but somehow that didn’t seem like a “professional” placement. I was dreading the wire fishing exercise as I knew the rigging tube was jam-packed with other cables but I got the job done

Of course there’s no guarantee I didn’t pierce the casing of other wires behind the panel when I drilled the holes for the attachment screws to hold the puck in place…I guess I’ll find out if and when my radar doesn’t work this summer….ha ha

I flicked on the AIS for just a few minutes and boom, there was La Perouse on the MarineTraffic website so shooting through the wheelhouse roof seems to work just fine

IMG_5870.jpeg

Last edited:
Picked up an old Yamaha 9.9 four stroke that wasn't running for $50 and a pack of beer. Built a stand in the garage, and started to tear into it to see what was up.

Step 1: Pull the carb, disassembled - cleanout any varnish, blew out the jets. Re-assembled. (pretty easy on this model)

Still won't start, but will fire for a few seconds if I manually toggle the throttle linkage on the side of the carb before pulling the starter cable (however manually throttling up when it is running does nothing). Starts, runs 5 seconds, dies - but not rough. My guess is choke related.

Step 2: This model doesn't have a manual choke - it has a solenoid valve on top of the carb. Pulled the solenoid, put a piece of tape over the opening to simulate full choke. Fingers crossed - starts first pull - idles nicely. After about 30 seconds, I peel back the corner of the tape to simulate pushing the choke in. Still idles fine. Solenoid seems to be the source of the problem. Looks like water pump is dead as well.

Now just need to order parts, and see if anything else comes up.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 32
I had a similar 9.9 yamaha without manual choke. To choke it you moved the throttle back and forth fully and quickly around 10 times before trying to start it.

I had a similar 9.9 yamaha without manual choke. To choke it you moved the throttle back and forth fully and quickly around 10 times before trying to start it.
lol, that is manually flooding it. same idea.

Picked up an old Yamaha 9.9 four stroke that wasn't running for $50 and a pack of beer. Built a stand in the garage, and started to tear into it to see what was up.

Step 1: Pull the carb, disassembled - cleanout any varnish, blew out the jets. Re-assembled. (pretty easy on this model)

Still won't start, but will fire for a few seconds if I manually toggle the throttle linkage on the side of the carb before pulling the starter cable (however manually throttling up when it is running does nothing). Starts, runs 5 seconds, dies - but not rough. My guess is choke related.

Step 2: This model doesn't have a manual choke - it has a solenoid valve on top of the carb. Pulled the solenoid, put a piece of tape over the opening to simulate full choke. Fingers crossed - starts first pull - idles nicely. After about 30 seconds, I peel back the corner of the tape to simulate pushing the choke in. Still idles fine. Solenoid seems to be the source of the problem. Looks like water pump is dead as well.

Now just need to order parts, and see if anything else comes up.
Looks super clean for $50. Nice find if the fix is that simple.

Looks super clean for $50. Nice find if the fix is that simple.
We'll see. Looks like around $130 for the new solenoid valve plus probably another $65 for the water pump kit. At that point I get to find out if its actually any good, but if I can get a running early 2000s 4-stroke for around $250 (all-in), with some sweat equity - that's a pretty good deal in my books.

I noted that when I pulled the solenoid valve, there was no o-ring (one is shown in the parts diagram on Crowley Marine), which is suspicious - So I think I'm going to test the valve out a bit by running 12v through it and see what happens. Don't want to spend money on the solenoid if its just a missing o-ring. The danger is always that someone messed with it, so putting it back together the way you found it can be its own set of problems.

What started out as replacing a float switch ( which wasn't needed as it turned out...I'm an idiot..don't ask) turned into adding a second float switch with a back up bilge pump with its own switch wired to its own battery as well as a high water bilge alarm.. and also adding an indicator light at the dash for the primary pump. Also replacing the primary pump with a new pump. Probably a little overkill but what the hey.

I also went down a rabbit hole on bilge pump switches and wiring. That's a whole other thread.

Attachments

• 20240513_152229.jpg
    20240513_152229.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240513_152245.jpg
    20240513_152245.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240513_152403.jpg
    20240513_152403.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240513_152529.jpg
    20240513_152529.jpg