Thanks. Yes I will be targeting lings primarily, and rock fish if I happen to hook up with a keeper but not specifically targeting them. If the chances of getting salmon as bycatch are as high as you make it sound, then it makes sense to me to pinch the barbs and run singles. It sounds like you are using a lot of flat falls - would you use the assist hook setup on a more traditional vertical jig, and are you rigging them from the top or the bottom? I've got some big swim baits to try out too - I am assuming the chances of salmon hitting those are a little less likely?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out how to have fun and do the least damage in the process. As I said, the bottom fishing game is all new territory to me, as are the waters around Pacific Playgrounds. I am reasonably happy that a bunch of the places you mentioned in your reports are ones I had already tagged as worth exploring by looking at the charts. Your report doesn't fill me with confidence I'm going to have much luck though - if you aren't finding the lings and know where to look, I guess I'll be counting on beginners luck!

Thanks. Yes I will be targeting lings primarily, and rock fish if I happen to hook up with a keeper but not specifically targeting them. If the chances of getting salmon as bycatch are as high as you make it sound, then it makes sense to me to pinch the barbs and run singles. It sounds like you are using a lot of flat falls - would you use the assist hook setup on a more traditional vertical jig, and are you rigging them from the top or the bottom? I've got some big swim baits to try out too - I am assuming the chances of salmon hitting those are a little less likely?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out how to have fun and do the least damage in the process. As I said, the bottom fishing game is all new territory to me, as are the waters around Pacific Playgrounds. I am reasonably happy that a bunch of the places you mentioned in your reports are ones I had already tagged as worth exploring by looking at the charts. Your report doesn't fill me with confidence I'm going to have much luck though - if you aren't finding the lings and know where to look, I guess I'll be counting on beginners luck!
I also rub barbless singles for bottom fish for the same bycatch reason, with proper tension and being prepared with a net or gaff I've found it pretty uncommon to lose fish. Note that the hooks flat falls come with are also big enough to cause eye damage even with the barbs pinched, I make my own 3/0 assists with dowrigger cable and shrink tubing for that reason. The double assists can also be pretty nasty, so if nothing else cutting one hook off is a good start. Swimbaits will catch salmon occasionally as well, but not with the size typically used for lings and bottom fish.

Keep in mind that the deeper you go the slimmer and faster falling jigs will be the easiest to keep in contact with the bottom with, Shimano and Daiwa make a great selection different profiles for that reason! I personally rig to the 'top' of the jig as it prevents the jig swinging against the hook and working it loose, as well as catching bottom less frequently. It's always worth giving the south end of quadra a try as well, there's a lot of fishy features on both sides of wilby shoal.

Thanks for doing your best to fish responsibly, always uplifting to see and hear! 😁

The key to everything jigging is BAIT!! There is a reason you are only allowed 1 ling a day and 10 a year--There aren't that many legal ones. Your best bet for lings and very very occasional hali is bait. So the hump at CR-all around sometimes holds bait-wiloby shoal--all around particularly out by the green can and north to fransico point. I went out today and got nothing keepable. No BAIT-wrong tide-but I went anyway--thats how you learn- I knew better but gave it a shot Got to do it just to stay HUMBLE!!LOL

The key to everything jigging is BAIT!! There is a reason you are only allowed 1 ling a day and 10 a year--There aren't that many legal ones. Your best bet for lings and very very occasional hali is bait. So the hump at CR-all around sometimes holds bait-wiloby shoal--all around particularly out by the green can and north to fransico point. I went out today and got nothing keepable. No BAIT-wrong tide-but I went anyway--thats how you learn- I knew better but gave it a shot Got to do it just to stay HUMBLE!!LOL
Thanks! Just got checked in at Pacific Playground. Time it perfectly to arrive for the lowest tide all week it looks like, so currently waiting for it to rise a bit before dumping the boat in. I see there is a hazard warning for standing waves at the hump - fishing out of a 17' Arima so we'll tread cautiously. Navionics shows a pretty devent drop off at Kushan Point, just north of Pacific Playground and below the Oyster River RCA. Anything doing over there?

Thanks! Just got checked in at Pacific Playground. Time it perfectly to arrive for the lowest tide all week it looks like, so currently waiting for it to rise a bit before dumping the boat in. I see there is a hazard warning for standing waves at the hump - fishing out of a 17' Arima so we'll tread cautiously. Navionics shows a pretty devent drop off at Kushan Point, just north of Pacific Playground and below the Oyster River RCA. Anything doing over there?
Pick any structure you see south of the RCA line-also drop on any little marks you see on the sounder. If you go out beyond 240 along the RCA line you will hit a disproportionate amount of yellow eye-I avoid it as there are lots there. Ling are mostly north of t northern RCA line on the willow point shore- got one almost legal this morning-good luck

Back