Yamaha F150 lower unit

rapid

Hey folks,
I have a Yamaha 2004 F150 and the gear chatter going into reverse seems to be getting slowly worse. (it's not the cable I does the same shifting by hand right at the block) I've had this engine since 2005 so no complaints and it does still go into reverse, this tells me the engine is warning me! Just reaching out to see if anyone has tackled one of these rebuilds at home (I've done transfer cases & transmissions but this is new territory and feel special service tools may limit my success, a fella needs to pick his fights ha ha .......)

- any ball parks costs on Yami dealer rebuilding them or recommendations on Island dealers where you have a had this done.
- any one ran a SEI Marine unit (shipped from Florida but all new?)

I'll call around for quotes on Tuesday let you know what I have learned. Thank you in advance for any information you can share.

Attachments

• Coastal 18 footer.jpg
    Coastal 18 footer.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Coast 18 2004.JPG
    Coast 18 2004.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 37
The reverse heat is worn and the clutch dog is worn. Going to want to reseal the shafts while its apart. So your looking at minimum..

Driveshaft seals
Propshaft seals
Water pump
Reverse gear
Clutch dog
Hub retaining nut
Gear oil

Estimated 3 hours labour. Really just depends on how easily it comes apart.

PM me if you want. I'm pretty busy, but might be able to help you out. Not something you will be able to do at home.

To bad it wasn't a little older I have 3 gearcases that fit 150-200's. but 2 strokes.

PM sent thank you ship happens! Profisher I'd try to purchase all those lower units off you if they fit (my wife drives the boat to ha ha)

And I would sell you all 3. They don't go very often..one of the stronger parts on a Yami. I took out one years ago...it had noisy bearings. When we took it apart out of curiosity (because I had extras and wasn't going to fix it) we determined it was a hard shift from forward to reverse that caused chunks to come off a gear and get into the bearings. Right away I said F*&king seals. Trying to stay on top of a seal with our fish...going back and forth quickly to prevent it from getting a breath. I knew right away how the damage happened.

ha ha I can see that happening, one of my last times fishing out front of Nanaimo had a double header of chinook and a double header with seals kept on them like you mentioned and got one fish back lost everything on the other it was like a whole sport was being born!!. I do truly appreciate your offer for these parts and the story!

Back