Yamaha 6A3 tilt switch issue

MikePA

My "up" function on the engine trim stopped working (or sometimes works if I got up 50x) out of the blue.. the boat is only 4 years old.. do I need a new switch already or is there a chance a contact somehow became corroded? Anyway to diagnose this? Thanks!

My "up" function on the engine trim stopped working (or sometimes works if I got up 50x) out of the blue.. the boat is only 4 years old.. do I need a new switch already or is there a chance a contact somehow became corroded? Anyway to diagnose this? Thanks!
is it the switch at the motor or is it a throttle mounted switch thats the problem?

The down function did the same thing on my switch. Had to order a new switch to fix the problem. I believe mine was about 4 years old as well when it stopped working.

Had the same problem a few years back. Wasn't the tilt switch in my case but the wiring before the tilt switch m/f connector at the motor end. The 2 power leads are crimped together in one wire connector that was flakey. The blue wire was the culprit which is the power lead from the throttle. Poorly designed by Yamaha in my opinion. Maybe the same problem, who knows.

At the throttle
if the one at the motor works then its in the wiring between the throttle and engine you can probably find the wiring colour codes for that harness online, but I would start with what @Drink said, its more than likely just a bad connection. so you just need to know what wires are used and look for bad connections. The reason it "sometimes works if I got up 50x" is that its arcing and occasionally making enough contact to work. but with a basic multi meter you should be able to find where the bad connection is.

if the one at the motor works then its in the wiring between the throttle and engine you can probably find the wiring colour codes for that harness online, but I would start with what @Drink said, its more than likely just a bad connection. so you just need to know what wires are used and look for bad connections. The reason it "sometimes works if I got up 50x" is that its arcing and occasionally making enough contact to work. but with a basic multi meter you should be able to find where the bad connection is.
Thanks a lot guys!

It's the switch at the throttle

Where are you located

I got some used switches around

Snap. Was just there too. I'm in delta

You can take the control box off. Remove the bolt for the handle. Remove the small lower plate on the control box. 2 flathead Phillip's screws. You will see the 3 wires that come out of the handle and into the box. They join in the box. The red wire is power for the switch. Green and blue are up and down. Blue is up just like the sky and green is down just like the grass. If you apply 12v to the green and blue it will send 12v to the relays in which operate the motor. Do that.

Sometimes you can spray fluid film in the switches and get them working if it's from an oxidized contact within the switch. Happens all the time. If the switch feels like something came loose or the rocker switch feel like you have to press it in really far, then most likely it's a mechanical problem within the switch and you'll have to replace it.

Snap. Was just there too. I'm in delta

You can take the control box off. Remove the bolt for the handle. Remove the small lower plate on the control box. 2 flathead Phillip's screws. You will see the 3 wires that come out of the handle and into the box. They join in the box. The red wire is power for the switch. Green and blue are up and down. Blue is up just like the sky and green is down just like the grass. If you apply 12v to the green and blue it will send 12v to the relays in which operate the motor. Do that.

Sometimes you can spray fluid film in the switches and get them working if it's from an oxidized contact within the switch. Happens all the time. If the switch feels like something came loose or the rocker switch feel like you have to press it in really far, then most likely it's a mechanical problem within the switch and you'll have to replace it.
Thanks very much!

Back