WTB Halibut reels

buzzbomb

Looking for one or two halibut reels. something like a penn 330 or the like, nothing high end. Thanks

For what it's worth I ran two middle of the road penns and they are seized after one season. I have 2 shimano tekota's which I have used for many seasons and have been treated the same and they work as good as the day I got them.

Level wind Penns are ok but you should consider a lever drag reel with a higher gear ratio like 6:1. Shimano Tyrnos 20

For anyone looking for the best, Accurate Boss Fury BX600 or BX500 and 2 speed is DPX2

Last edited by a moderator:
guys will prob laugh at me, but these reels have served me well for more than a few years. I have half a doz on my boat and can be used for salmon and halibut. and it doesn't hurt alot if I see one go overboard.

http://www.amazon.com/Okuma-Counter...TF8&qid=1429557224&sr=8-1&keywords=okuma+dx45

I've only had one fail on me and the part was a stripped gear (stripped in one spot) that I was able to mailorder. the part was $1.85 and was under $10.00 with shipping. was easy to repair. have had to lube the line counters on a couple of them also, but I haven't really taken care of these reels as I do my more expensive reels. yes, they're made in china... but fairly decent low priced reels you don't mind letting other people use. and they catch fish...

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a lady that has some stuff from her dad that passed away a while back....some old school mooching rods in good shape as well as some old pen deep sea reels that are near mint....let me know...very reasonable price I'm sure...shipping is what it is ...

Show me a reel better than the dual drag and high quality abec bearings in the Accurate Boss Fury reels. My friend had a 10 year old one that gave up the ghost, Accurate have him a $200 credit towards a new one.

pretty sure the accurate boss fury doesn't fall into the "nothing fancy" category he was talking about.. , I love my Avet MXL at about half the price at 249.99- 269.99

pretty sure the accurate boss fury doesn't fall into the "nothing fancy" category he was talking about.. , I love my Avet MXL at about half the price at 249.99- 269.99

I love the type of the reel. where did you get it? I need to get a reel on my halibut rod.

Back