Write and Call Fisheries Minister Jordan in support of the SFAB Chinook Proposals

cohochinook

The best thing is to write your own letter directly to the Minister Jordan and call her office. Here is the details for doing that:

Bernadette Jordan
902-527-5655
bernadette.jordan@parl.gc.ca

Also the Public Fishery Alliance has started a letter writing campaign at the link below:

A phone call only takes a few minutes as well. I left a message the first time I called and called again just now and spoke to one of her staffers in her office. The more we get the message out the better! Make no mistake by sitting back, as this decision is being made at the Ministers office.

I was on a meeting today with DFO staff. They still have no date for a decision on the Chinook SFAB proposals. The decision is being made 100% by Fisheries Minister Jordan so we need to keep the pressure on! Keep the emails and letters going!

Thanks to everyone who has contributed!

Thanks to everyone who sent their letters or called Minister Jordan. I just received an update from the Public Fishery Alliance. We've had over 400 emails and are getting close to 500. Keep them coming folks!
I want to send and huge "Thank you" to the people working behind the scenes for public access to our west coast waters.
With allmost 10,000 memebers on this forum its time to get behind these people and send your emails!

Fisheries and Oceans
Canada
Pêches et Océans
Canada
Pacific Region Région du Pacifique
Suite 200 – 401 Burrard Street Piece 200 – 401 rue Burrard
Vancouver, British Columbia Vancouver (C-B.)
V6C 3S4 V6C 3S4

April 12, 2021

Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB)
Martin Paish, SFAB Chair

Dear Mr. Paish:

Thank you for your correspondence of March 19th, 2021 regarding mark selective Chinook fisheries. We are responding on behalf of the Minister’s office.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) understands the importance of fishing opportunities for recreational anglers. The Department is committed to science-based decision making and manages the fishery resource with a cautious approach to support the sustainability of Canada’s fisheries into the future. We do this in a manner that seeks to minimize economic impacts.

As you may know, the Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) has assessed 16 of the 17 wild populations of Fraser River Chinook and found all but one to be at-risk; 10 of these populations have been deemed Endangered. These declines need to be urgently addressed, as do the changes to marine and freshwater ecosystems that directly affect salmon and our coastal communities. As well, these declines are not restricted to Fraser River Chinook populations and similar trends have been observed across many other Chinook stocks in southern BC.

The Department recognizes the keen interest of many in British Columbia’s recreational fishing community in seeking an expansion of opportunities for hatchery-origin marked Chinook (also known as mark selective fisheries, or MSF). DFO is currently reviewing information regarding the potential expansion of MSF. While MSF could offer potential benefits for fisheries, they must be considered as part of a longer-term, integrated approach for Pacific salmon management. They must also be balanced with a full understanding of the issues and resource requirements needed to mitigate the short- and long-term concerns.

There are a number of recreational fishery proposals that incorporate mark selective fisheries for areas around southern BC. DFO consulted on these proposals and circulated preliminary evaluations of these proposals to First Nations and stakeholders for further comment by March 19, 2021. The Department is evaluating input received. Evaluation of these proposals requires consideration of the potential impacts of proposed fisheries on Fraser River Chinook stocks, and also local stocks rearing in or returning to the proposed fishing areas. As well, among other factors, DFO must consider the priority for First Nations food, social and ceremonial access when surpluses are available, given the overall decline in Chinook stocks that has been experienced.

Given the extent of the decline for Fraser River Chinook stocks of concern, fishery restrictions will continue to be required to protect these stocks in 2021 and future years. Decisions regarding the recreational fishing proposals will be informed by science advice and stock assessment data, will be consistent with salmon allocation priorities, and will consider feedback from the Department’s established advisory and consultation process as outlined above. Though fisheries management measures are an important tool, they will not be sufficient on their own to restore these important stocks. DFO understands this and is working on projects to support habitat protection and restoration, climate adaptation, improved stock assessment, and enhanced science collaboration.

Conservation remains DFO’s first priority in management of all fisheries, and all stocks potentially impacted by a fishery, followed by Indigenous food, social and ceremonial harvest opportunities. These are difficult decisions that impact a wide range of communities. It is important that the Department make decisions that will ultimately lead to strengthened salmon populations, so that we have healthy and abundant salmon runs in the future that will support Indigenous, commercial and recreational fisheries.

Thank you for writing. We hope that this response has addressed your concerns.

Sincerely,
DFO Pacific Salmon Management Team
DFO.PacificSalmonRMT-EGRSaumonduPacifique.MPO@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

I want to send and huge "Thank you" to the people working behind the scenes for public access to our west coast waters.
With allmost 10,000 memebers on this forum its time to get behind these people and send your emails!

These things in recent years tend to top out at around 2k people. I am not sure what conclusions to make for it but it seems to be the number of people in the saltwater/fishing community that are willing to take a few seconds to do it.

These things in recent years tend to top out at around 2k people. I am not sure what conclusions to make for it but it seems to be the number of people in the saltwater/fishing community that are willing to take a few seconds to do it.
I just sent 2 more off, easy to do and as you stated, take mere seconds

Back