Winter Springs

waddy29

Hey guys,

Over the past couple of years Ive only targeted the winter springs several times. I know some guys on here are really excited for it. I havent had much success when fishing for winter's.

Im not asking for tips, but basically, what is it that gets you excited for the winters? Arent they generally a smaller chinook? Do they put up a better fight? Do you get your limit easily? Gonna probably go out once or twice this year but interested to hear ppls opinions.

Thanks and regards,
Cam

I like them for a couple reasons.

#1 = They are some of the nicest eating springs you can get. Generally firm red sweet meat .

#2 = More times than not if you find them they will bite. Seems these fish at this time of year prove the saying "find the bait find the fish " more than most.

#3 and probably the biggest reason for me is. Because it is winter I generally pic only nice days. Getting to go fishing on a nice day in the middle of Jan is reason to get excited in my book.

Cheers Ray

I believe they are such a prized fish because of the deeper, colder water they stay in during the winter season. They build up a thicker layer of fat and that is what makes the meat so desirable!

If you do hook into one, try poaching your fillets.

in a large sauce pan, add 1/2" water, heavily buttered (2 heaping Tbsp). On the stove bring it to a low boil (medium to med-high heat). Place fillets, skin side down into the water (the top of the flesh should be just out of the water). Poach them until the meat turns pink and firm on the portion sticking out of the water.

Once I remove them from the water I carefully peal off the skin. Have a lemon-dill sauce prepared. I use greek yogurt, fresh squeezed lemon, and dried dill, and a shot of white vinegar. Mix well and let sit for 15 minutes so the dill flavor is released into the sauce.

Put your skinned (or not, depending on preference) fillet onto your plate and smother it in the lemon dill sauce. No need for sides, you will eat the whole salmon to yourself!

I like them for a couple reasons.

#1 = They are some of the nicest eating springs you can get. Generally firm red sweet meat .

#2 = More times than not if you find them they will bite. Seems these fish at this time of year prove the saying "find the bait find the fish " more than most.

#3 and probably the biggest reason for me is. Because it is winter I generally pic only nice days. Getting to go fishing on a nice day in the middle of Jan is reason to get excited in my book.

Cheers Ray

That sums up my feelings as well. This fishing is more "textbook" then others. Put in your time, fishing proper techniques and locations and you will catch these fish consistantly.

They are in prime condition and wtf could you be doing any better on a crisp winter day when most have their boats all bubble wrapped.

appreciate the input fellas! Sounds like i better get out there in the coming months, its not like there will be hockey to watch..........

Crabbing can be great that time of year too. Any excuse to get on the water and I'm going. I'm an addict though.

Although they only average 6-10 lbs, sometimes you can hook into a mid teener
and man can they fight.
as stated before the flesh is the best eating, firm and usually bright red in color.

For their size - better fighters.

Seems to be more and more of them around (thank you US hatchery system) and not just in the winter.

There seems to be increasing numbers of bigger ones around.

Nothing beats same day non frozen freshness for eating.

For their size - better fighters.

Seems to be more and more of them around (thank you US hatchery system) and not just in the winter.

There seems to be increasing numbers of bigger ones around.

Nothing beats same day non frozen freshness for eating.

The winter I caught on Wednesday off Beechy was a hatchery.

Back