Winter-Spring Boat Maintenance

Peahead

Have a few things I want to do on my Grady 228G this winter/spring. If anyone has any advice on doing this work or has had good experiences with hiring any particular company or yard to do anyof this type of work, please let me know. I will do some of this myself and hire out some of it. I am on the mainland but also could haul out at yard in Nanaimo if necessary.

-Add a 3rd bilge pump for emergency only - higher capacity/1500-2000 GPH Rule - presently have X2 Rule 1100 GPH pumps. The 3rd one for backup only -with built in float switch or external float that is set to come on only when water is unusually high. Add an additional thru hull in gunwale (well above water line) with appropriate size hose for the higher capacity emergency bilge pump. Alternatively increase size of present thru-hull and hose size to handle larger capacity and Y the emergency pump into that same exit. Wire new bilge pump for auto operation or auto and manual override switch at helm panel

- replace or repair Shur flo pump for on board fresh water supply - presently getting just a dribble flow. It supplies two locations and only a 1.6 GPM /30 PSI pump. If I replace it I may go higher capacity but not sure if a higher capacity will cause issues with present fixtures/hoses. Not sure if present pump is worth trying to repair.

- Soda blast hull ( presently have a quote coming from Ocean Pacific Media) to remove old hard (non-ablative) antifoul so that I can start the hull maintenance with a 'clean canvas" and do any gelcoat repair needed, add barrier coat that was never done originally and then good antifoul.

- repair any gelcoat chips/gouges with appropriate filler/epoxy, paint on 2-3 waterproof barrier coats ( Interlux product) and 2 coats antifoul ( likely Interlux ablative)

- Some minor scrapes/chips in the gel coat on various areas above water line areas such as deck, cockpit, pulpit and roof edge areas but don't really feel gel coat material/kit is what I want so still looking for an alternative like a epoxy paint or a putty for these areas but have yet to figure out what is best idea.

Big job ahead of you,Peahead.I used Interlux Interprotect 2000E 2 part epoxy for barrier paint and Micron CSC albative bottom paint,and have been very pleased with the results.Put 3 coats of Interprotect and 3 coats of Micron a little more
than 2 years ago and although I haven't had the boat in the water since April,I had put many hours on it beforehand and
also had it moored for several months during that time as well.It's held up really well with no growth on the hull
whatsoever.Was also told by a friend of mine that works for B.C. Ferries that this what they use on their entire fleet.

Thanks for that info on the barrier epoxy and CSC fshnfnatic. I like the interlux product. I used non-ablative Fiberglass Bottomkote by Interlux last spring but I have used the CSC (ablative) before on another boat and it was great. I like the fact that the CSC ablative works longer- 2 years usually before needing fresh coat and doesn't need re-application after a week or more stay out of the water ( such as the non-ablative apparently does). Expensive initial cost per gallon for CSC but with application every 2+ years that makes it cheaper in the long run.

FYI as per my post at the start of this thread - I did not need to replace my fresh water Shurflo pump. When I pulled out the pump yesterday, I just took apart the strainer and the metal screen/filter was completely clogged with crud - a quick clean and rinse and the pump now pushes water like a charm to both termination points !

Back