Wind Forecasts- BigWaveDave?

Time

I have been trying to follow and compare the Environment Canada and Big Wave Dave's forecasting accuracy to see who can be relied on. EC's good for a general overview but Big Wave Dave gives hour by hour predictions for specific locations. Seems, as far as I can tell, to be pretty good, but I'm not down in the Victoria, Sooke, Renfrew areas enough to be able to have made meaningful observations to compare the prediction to actual conditions that develop.

I was wondering if any body has been doing any such comparison? Or if BigWaveDaves forecasts have proved accurate enough to base fishing decisions on?

Before trailering the boat over the Malahat I like to have a good idea if the day will be fishable. Hurts to have EC calling for Small Craft Warnings (and worse), then check actual wind speeds on Dave's later and see that it turned out to be a manageable day. Or vice versa, haul the boat down and have a miserably (and short) bouncy time.

my experience is that E.C. will always predict the most
extreme weather on their marine forecast. today they are calling
for gales 25-35 , but winds are averaging 15-20 so far.
Big wave dave's predictions are pretty darn acurate as they
are calling for west 15 , which is where it is right now.
I think you can rely on the latter for being fairly true
in their predictions.

;)

Big wave is god to me Look at the web cams for really accurate details.

Good luck Wolf

I look at the Weather Net and Marine forcast for a general overview. Big Wave Dave is better for specific areas.
The broad forcasts don't tell you that Otter Point may have shelter from Sheringham. Depends on wind direction. If the Marine forecast is gale force I tend to stay home. Anything less than that I see what Dave has to say.

The web cams are awesome if it is light out.

Tips

Back