who has made the switch?

I have a Float On aluminum trailer that came with stainless steel disc brakes. I would not say they are perfect but this trailer has been the least effort to maintain than any I have ever owned. The trailer is now 5 seasons old and no real issues so far - touch wood! Electric over hydraulic system that will stop my truck and 27 foot Grady. Here's the features sheet off their website: http://www.floaton.com/features.html

So far my experience has been positive, thus the vote of confidence for this braking system.

SF, I am wondering if you can tell me where you got the Speedi Sleeves? I think it could possibly solve a problem I have with my trailer.
I added disc brakes to my trailer a couple of years ago. They work well, but rust is an issue as they are not stainless. Would spend more to get brakes that are better suited to the salt next time.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
Sure thing-they are by an outfit called Chicago Rawhide which is a division of Timkin bearing company. Lordco carries them. Speedi sleeves will only give you a stainless surface for the rear seals to run on thus preventing water and then rust into the beaarings. Most spindles are made of steel and the area the rear seal runs on is often pitted within a year so the seal cannot do its job-thereby leaking salt water into the bearings-regardless of whether you have bearing buddies or not!!

I had speedi sleeves on my trailer befire changing the axles and they do provide a better seal for the rear bearings . I have zero faith in bearing buddies on a trailer . All they do is push dirty wet grease from the front of the hub into the rear bearings. When I overfilled the hub grease always ended up all over the backing plates. I have put ezlube axles on all three of my trailers and they work great.When filling the hub the new grease travels through the spindle and pushes out the used dirty **** from the rear . When the grease runs clean she is done . A complete repack with out taking anything apart. These should be part of any break upgrade if you are staying with traditional greased hubs. I believe the concept of oil bath hubs is terrific but having one fail scares the crap out of me. If the hub leaks, a major failure occurs real quick, at least with greased hubs you will get some warning .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back