which 14ft boat to buy

sako79

I'm in the market to upgrade my 12 foot smokercraft boat and buy a 14 foot boat. what would you recommend and where's a good place to pick the new one up

How will you be transporting the boat? What will you be using it for primarily? Is cost a factor? How long do you plan on keeping it?

Transporting will be either trailer or on my boat rack. Keeping it for along time and cost is a little bit of a factor

i really like my g3 guide,, 14' with deep transom..lifetime warranty , whatever that means... with very little help from my wife we can load it on the roof rack. way more affordable than the heavier welded versions.. if it was my fishing boat tho and used a trailer and could afford it.... i would get a lifetimer..

I liked my 14' Lund SSV but if your looking to get it up on a rack you're looking at almost 300 pounds. Most 14's are going to want a trailer or need a good rack winch system. I picked up boat only on craigslist 2 years old for 2 grand then found a used 25 4stroke used trailer and by the time I finished had around 5,000 into it but nice clean package that i sold for more.

Last edited by a moderator:
well now im thinking about getting a Lund WC 12, just for the layout and not to heavy. plus i just bought a brand new mercury 9.9hp 6 months ago and i think in would work well on the WC 12. is this boat big enough to go in the ocean

If it is not deep transom... I would not take it in the ocean, maybe closed bays but no where near open water where big boats and big waves can swamp ya.

x2 on that ,i had a 12' Lund and almost got swamped on the Fraser river by a tug , lol i was looking up at the sky because the wake was so big , sold that thing and i have a 15' and it just does the job on the ocean , but i pick my days ...selling soon pm me if your interested in a 15' welded aluminum .

Cheers !

95% of the time ill be fishing lakes. i just wondering if its worth changing boats. right now i have a 12Ft smokercraft canadian

What about keeping the tin boat for lakes, and getting an older 16/17 foot Double Eagle or similar starter boat for the ocean. Swap the 9.9 back and forth to use as a kicker. Or keep your boat and go on a charter for a few days to stock the freezer, and to make sure ocean fishing is something you want get into more. Or sell your boat and motor and get a used Boston Whaler 13 or 15 for lakes and limited ocean fishing (will need a trailer). Craigslist.

95% of the time ill be fishing lakes. i just wondering if its worth changing boats. right now i have a 12Ft smokercraft canadian

Why do you need the extra two feet? A 14 foot, even if it's riveted, adds quite a bit of weight and is tough to load on a rack unless you have two people or an automatic loader which is nice if go fishing alone on remote mountain lakes with no formal boat launches.

I totally agree with BGM a 12 ft. lund would be perfect. Lund makes deep sea or sportsman models that are more suited to salt water environments. I've fished in one for over 20 years and I'm still here to tell the tale.;) eman

what do u think of a Lund wc12, G3 guide v12 or a princecraft ungava. what is better? does the lund come with the flat floor or gdo u have to buy it

im looking at the specs of the three. the g3 is the longest and widest and has the thickest gauge aluminum. the lund is the heaviest but that must be because of the wood floor.

the 14' just give me a little more room with the family in it. i dont really need the extra 2 feet

Not sure if you could find one but I have a 12ft duroboat , it's quit a unique design, not welded or riveted, nice and light, I picked mine up in Vancouver but I have seen the odd 14 footer around

Back