When was the last time you caught a Sockeye Legally on the Ocean? Hopefully DFO announces an Opening Soon!

L

Local Hali Hunter

When the 100 million sockeyes came into the Fraser River in 2010, DFO predicted that it was the biggest run in 100 years. Now DFO is saying this year could be the biggest in the last 40 years? Come on, do they think we don't remember what they have said in the past? Would be nice if they threw a bone to us sporties, but it will most likely be for the commies again.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 2 major user groups that take priority access.
Sporties are a distant third.
If we get anything it will be late and short-lived.
JMHO
When the 100 million sockeyes came into the Fraser River in 2010, DFO predicted that it was the biggest run in 100 years. Now DFO is saying this year could be the biggest in the last 40 years? Come on, do they think we don't remember what they have said in the past? Would be nice if they threw a bone to us sporties, but it will most likely be for the commies again. View attachment 83400
Last time I caught a sockeye? Probably 2010 in Weynton Passage, with schools visible on the surface. I had both my hips then, and [as I remember it] hardly any gray hair.

2010 was 28.2 million.
I caught some in 2010,11,14,18.
Test sets were better yesterday in area 12 and 20.

2010 was 28.2 million.
I caught some in 2010,11,14,18.
Test sets were better yesterday in area 12 and 20.
Ya I fish area 20, and socks are jumping everywhere at times, so doing some praying to the goddess of the sea for an opening. My apologies about the exaggeration in the millions, just a bit of fisherman in me..... common man that's 12 years ago, do or did you drive the test boat? lmao
That was the trade off made when the Commercial fleet backed off on Chinook and Coho ..
Incredible to think this is how deals are decided, just wish they would see it the way we do, after all were fishing atleast a couple times a week and we see what's. going on. Or we just end up buying them anyways.

Just on this sight this week there have been reports of jumpers, finners and bycatch from Esperanza to Pender Island to Sandheads and from Port Hardy to Malcolm Island to offshore Nanaimo. I don't really trust that the test seine boat in area 20 gets it right each day, given the variability in bottom depth/distance from shore the fish can use as a corridor each day.
I went to Haig Brown park for the last big spawn. They are coming.

Just on this sight this week there have been reports of jumpers, finners and bycatch from Esperanza to Pender Island to Sandheads and from Port Hardy to Malcolm Island to offshore Nanaimo. I don't really trust that the test seine boat in area 20 gets it right each day, given the variability in bottom depth/distance from shore the fish can use as a corridor each day.
I went to Haig Brown park for the last big spawn. They are coming.
I have caught lots of socks in renfrew and usually cables are at 100-140ft dead slow with 15lbs balls, I doubt the seiners are getting that deep, they where getting decent numbers at the end of July, just went for a quick look at the end of July and sounder was picking them up at 100-125 ft, lots of them flopping around on the surface too, where I was, was the new no fishing zone in front of the bay at about 400-500ft of water.can’t remember the dates of the opening in 2018 but it was easy picking for them then

Back