When the Sooke Net Pen fish return will we be allowed to fish for them?

fish brain

Crew Member
Near as I can figure the Sooke Net Pen fish should be returning soon, and yet reading DFO's announcement today they will be restricted to one a day and the 80 cm slot limit. Is this correct?

I have no proof but a little birdie told me that DFO wants to kill all the net pen fish that are in the Sooke River because they are not native to the River I believe they are going to net them and then give them away

I have no proof but a little birdie told me that DFO wants to kill all the net pen fish that are in the Sooke River because they are not native to the River I believe they are going to net them and then give them away
Thus my question, it's a terminal fishery. Why aren't we allowed to catch them? Many of us donated money for the project, some of us (not me) donated huge amounts of time to make it happen for everyone,whales included. Now we can't get access to them? Total BS

Gon Fishing..so don't start or spread rumours that have no truth to them. We have enough to deal with trying to keep this project going as it is. All Sooke River Chinook are Nitinat stock as the native Sooke River Chinook were all gone by the late 70's. DNA analysis of Chinook in the Sooke River now are identical to Nitinat because that is where they all came from. This is an important project to DFO because the science branch can use the Sooke 100% enhanced stock and compare their success or failures compared to wild indicator systems like the Cowichan.

Our board is still not happy even with today announcement. Our 4 year old fish from our first year of 250,000 of which 100,000 were clipped and tagged and which is not cheap to do are returning this summer. We were told that a critical component of this project was catch data, spawn and post spawn data. The science branch at DFO and this board want to know how many of these fish make it to adulthood, are caught, eaten by whales and spawn. Most of these fish will likely be over 80cm and those fish (heads) will not show up in a count. So we are being cut off at the knees and will have a difficult time producing true numbers that would tell the story of good success or not. Our only source of data will be in river if our clipped fish that are seined by the Sooke Enhancement Society are kept, counted and tags recovered.

That’s stupid. No reason to go in there IMO. . Will cause congestion at high traffic harbour mouth.

I've put in 5 hatchery heads in the last 4 days and they were all around 78cm fish. I sure hope a few are from the net pen project.
Ever one in the Victoria/Sooke areas has to submit their hatchery heads if we want to continue on with the net pen project. We just have to hope some of those fish heads are pinned and are from the net pen fish.

Last year I think there were 24 tagged fish from the net pen caught. Every where from Alaska to Sooke.

I have asked this question but not had an answer. Regs say I need the head on to transport so when I get home I then have to go back to deposit the head. This seems crazy or am I wrong.

I have asked this question but not had an answer. Regs say I need the head on to transport so when I get home I then have to go back to deposit the head. This seems crazy or am I wrong.

You can have head off as long as you keep the tail on and the min size of what’s left meets the min size of the area.

woth a min size of 45cm over there I don’t see it being an issue that much.

Last edited:
Thanks for kinda clearing this up for me. I’m thinking the head turned in is of more value to DFO but maybe they don’t even use that info to make decisions to restrict us. I’ll just play by the rules if I can even catch another one.

Back