what Things should I do before Mooring

Hookin'up

what else should I look at on the boat before mooring? this will be a first for me as I usually just trailer everywhere,
heres what I've done so far:
I've added a 2nd switcheable automatic bilge pump, I've added a marine battery charger with maintenance mode,
I pulled the stern plug housing and resealed with 3m 5200 I thought it seemed loose when tightening the plug, re-did the bottom paint, retreated the canvas tops.
not sure what else I might be in for any advice from the full time moorers would be great!
Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Change out all your plastic thru hull fittings if you have any. They break down over time from the sun and fail sinking your boat. We had one in our marina go to the bottom. New T.C. rules dictate metal thru hulls for commercial operators for this exact reason. I would also install a shut off valve on all your thru hulls that have hoses attached so you can shut off the water when the boat is not in use.

Thanks searun,
Funny I was just out there looking at that and I only have 1 thru hull below the water for the washdown and bait wells
and it is brass and there is a ball valve on the inside to shut off, the only other thru hull is the stern drain and it is brass as well.
so should be good there

Thanks searun,
Funny I was just out there looking at that and I only have 1 thru hull below the water for the washdown and bait wells
and it is brass and there is a ball valve on the inside to shut off, the only other thru hull is the stern drain and it is brass as well.
so should be good there

Yip, you should be good, just get in the habit of shutting that valve each time your done. Was a bit of a shocker how fast that boat went down.

Yip, you should be good, just get in the habit of shutting that valve each time your done. Was a bit of a shocker how fast that boat went down.

definately not a good thing, hope his insurance covered it.

Don't forget to spread a few anchovies around the boat and on top for the shithawks & otters!

Don't forget to spread a few anchovies around the boat and on top for the shithawks & otters!

lol, yeah that should go over real good considering they gave me a slip on thier brand new cement docks

Add a nice bottle of whatever to prod whoever is in charge to pay a bit of extra attention to your boat + power cord.

Wax!!! Your hull/decks (if glass) will fade quicker with a full summer's sun and double the intensity as it sits in the water.

Wax, never thought of that, ya it would be alot easier now for sure, and good weather tomorrow for it too
thanks pro
Tim

Back