What do I need to fish for Halibut?

K

Klink

I heard I needed a special type of rod and special type of line, and I jig for em?

Any One know if Duncan Bay around CR is good for Halibut?

Forgive me Im totally nub to Halibut fishing <3

Klink

Rod: Hali or bottom fishing rod 6' to 7'

Line: 80 or 100 lb spectra fibre (Tuff Line, Fireline etc.) I use 40 - 60 lb mono leader in case you get hung up.

Reel: Multi action - Shimano TLD 20 or TLD 25 - Penn and Daiwa have similar models;

Sorry but not familiar with hali fishing in CR or Duncan Bay.

Don't think I ever heard of halibut at Duncan Bay - barely ever hear it at all around CR with the exception of maybe the hump at the south tip of Quadra.

Someone can correct me if they know of otherwise, but I've just never heard of people really TARGETING them in the CR area.

thnx for the info on gear, from what Ive heard from people at work if I want Hali fishing I have to head north, <3

Klink

Not sure where you live but areas from Victoria to Hardy along the west coast can have good halibut fishing. For the inside passage you need to fish the northern island. Purchase the book "How to catch halibut", hire a guide, talk to tackle shops and local fisherman, and put in the time.

There is alot of good info already been posted....Check out the search function in upper rh corner.[8D] put in Halibut Rod ,Hit search... lots of good reading!!;)
My rods are 5'to 7' medium to hd, must easily support 1 kg weight some rigged w/Penn and some w/Shimano tld's. We use 55 - 80 lb tuff stuff line. Mono Leaders from 80lb with nylon to 250 lb. A waist belt/support is recommended once you start catching. Good Luck[8D]

Try the book "Island Halibut Fisherman." It has some spots all over waters near the island including GPS points for hali's.

Best of luck ;),
David

Quite a few halibut were caught in Sidney Channel this year-not a place you would expect to find any.Read the books,look at some bathymetric charts and put in the time.
Hey,you never know!

wtf is a book?

Just Kidding, Ill pick up a couple books on the topic and harass the guys at Tyee Marine for some tips, mucho thanks though I would went out with my trout gear hoping to land a monster < Im just kidding >

Klink

quote:Originally posted by Klink

wtf is a book?

Just Kidding, Ill pick up a couple books on the topic and harass the guys at Tyee Marine for some tips, mucho thanks though I would went out with my trout gear hoping to land a monster < Im just kidding >

Klink

Halibut is a funny fish. When you first get going, it's hard, it's a real grind, then, for whatever reason, you can't keep the things off your gear. INCLUDING when foishing salmon, they can be a pain in the a** at times LOL.

Back