We've lost a great man who had an impact on salmon fishing.

Pippen

I know this has come up in threads before about superstitions etc.......but Hawkins Cheezies are a "go to"...actually a MUST HAVE for us when fishing and I know we're not the only ones. ;) Always offer some up to the fish gods to kick off the day. :p

RIP Mr. James E. Marker.....on behalf of us salmon fishermen who appreciate your profound contribution and have adopted the product as a fishing staple.....we thank you good Sir.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2012/05/03/cheezies_inventor_dies_in_belleville_ont_at_90.html

Cheezies inventor dies in Belleville, Ont., at 90

james_emarker.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

The production line at W. T. Hawkin’s Cheezies plant shut down for a day with the news that the man who invented the quintessential Canadian snack had died.

James E. Marker died at his home in Belleville, Ont., at the age of 90 on Tuesday.

“We’re still fighting over what we’re going to do,” to honour Marker, company director of finance Tony McGarvey told the Star on Thursday.

“Jim was a very private person. His love was Cheezies and the airport.”

Marker established the Belleville Airport in 1961 and flew his own Apache plane from there for many years.

Still vice-president of the company he and W.T. Hawkins started in 1949, Marker had paid a surprise inspection visit to the Belleville plant in March, McGarvey said.

Born in Dayton, Ohio, Marker had been a farmer when Hawkins became intrigued with the machine Marker invented to process cornmeal.

That original Marker-designed machine, which spits out no two Cheezies alike, is still on the factory floor, McGarvey said.

And the recipe? That’s a company secret only a handful of Hawkins’ employees know.

“It’s real cheese. I won’t go any farther than that,” said McGarvey, who eats the neon orange snack food just about every day.

Cheezies is the company’s sole product after W.T. Hawkins dumped his other snack foods and sent Marker north to concentrate on fried cheese-coated cornmeal bits.

Hawkins’ grandson, Kent, runs the company now, which employes nearly 100 people in its busy spring and summer season.

That is a real loss...a guy cannot go fishing with at the very least 2 bags on the boat...:(

Another hero gone...worked for the same company 65 years. Imagine someone doing that today....

Never watch a **** movie while eating them.

How do you frustrate an American? Get them addicted to Hawkins while in Canada! Have introduced a few Americans to them over the years....the first thing they do the next year is hit a store to pick some up.

How do you frustrate an American? Get them addicted to Hawkins while in Canada! Have introduced a few Americans to them over the years....the first thing they do the next year is hit a store to pick some up.

That is so funny and true!

Hahaha....no kidding. Sent the sad news to my buddy who is an NHL player recently relocated to Captain the Panthers ;)....he asked for a case to be sent down for tarpon fishing! :p I didn't realize or I guess never thought about them not being available down there.

Eat those every second day on the water....had one group that literally every time we would grab the cheesies fish on ha ha They're the best hands down.

Eat those every second day on the water....had one group that literally every time we would grab the cheesies fish on ha ha They're the best hands down.

David, I don't remember the cheezies on board... but I do recall KarmaKazi and the 'slippery' slices of Baldersons Double Smoked cheddar cheese !!! Always seemed to trigger a strike!

Rick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a guy out our way nicknamed "Orange - Fingers"
true-story.jpg

Back