Webinar Today 1 to 3 PM(Nov 7) on Thompson Steelhead with DFO

The infuriating thing is that water, in sufficient quantities to significantly address productivity, is manageable and far more meaningful to these stocks than bycatch, and yet we pretend we can’t when in fact we choose not to! I’ve stated this many times before, even the Bob Hooton’s of the world are missing the main point, and doing steelhead conservation a disservice, by not focusing on the real issue. Yes, bycatch is an issue when the stock is down to 150 animals, though a strong argument can be made that, at that level, you no longer have a viable population no matter what you do. However, this stock should be in the 2500+ range even in down cycles. It isn’t rec mortality or by catch that has driven this stock to the brink, it is habitat and specifically the lack of water in the Nicola, Bonaparte and deadman systems.

This was brought up as well as letting more water out of the nicola lake dam. Tho they said basically the only way to force it is under a listing. The province also said even the areas with water have no steelhead in them. Basically said even if you increase the water there is no steelhead left to spawn in these areas..

These fish basically have no protections without a listing, Basically without a listing the only protections they will get is though reduced fishing because they still plan to implement some closure windows with or without a listing.

Yup, like I said, at 150 animals the fat lady is nearly finished her song for this stock. The only way the feds can force the province to ensure sufficient flows is through listing, that’s true, but the Province could manage water responsibly on there own but they don’t have the political balls to, even as an NDP/Green coalition. Cows more important than fish on these systems, I bet most anglers don’t think about it when bbqing or buying their Canadian beef!

Cheers!

Ukee

Yup, like I said, at 150 animals the fat lady is nearly finished her song for this stock. The only way the feds can force the province to ensure sufficient flows is through listing, that’s true, but the Province could manage water responsibly on there own but they don’t have the political balls to, even as an NDP/Green coalition. Cows more important than fish on these systems, I bet most anglers don’t think about it when bbqing or buying their Canadian beef!

Cheers!

Ukee

Yeah basically the message from the politicians from the provence and the federal government is the economy is more important then these fish.

The sad part is they talked up the fact that they will be assessing cultus lake and other stocks again. Like WTF is the point you already determined the cost to protect these stocks is too much.

Back