We have lost another good guy....RIP

Cuba Libre

Dr. Ian McTaggart-Cowan died yesterday, just two months shy of his 100th birthday. While I suspect that many on this board do not know who he was... he was truely a pioneer in BC wildlife management as well as across North America. If you hunt, are a birder, a fishermen or just someone that likes looking at critters in the farm pond, you were touched by Dr McTaggart-Cowan,even if you did not know it.

I had the priviledge to meet Dr Mc-Cowan when I was an undergraduate and the president of the UBC Varsity Rod and Gun Club. It was with great trepidation that I approched the Dean (as he was then) to ask him to be our feature speaker at a club luncheon event. "Just let me know with a bit of advanced notice.. and I'll be there" was the reply. Well the word got out and our little club meeting developed into a campus noon hour lecture! Over three hundred students filled the main lecture hall in the Bi Sciences building to hear a totally fascinating and comical lecture on the mating habits of the Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep. After that he had a TV series that some will remember... Damn- he was good!
I, for one will not morn him-- after all 100yrs with a full life!!! We should all be so lucky.

http://www.hctf.ca/AboutUs/mctaggart.html

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Very sad news. As a person with a degree in Zoology (1972) I am very familar with his standing as a giant in that field in Britich Columbia. He will be missed.

Back