water in fuel

Island Fish Lifter

Hey guys, Once again Im not trying to be a know it all but theres been a few posts regarding engine probs. with water in the fuel being the prob. Guys, you gotta check your racors all the time! If you dont have one, get one! Make sure its a drainable one. There is nothing harder on fuel injection systems. I find water in mine sometimes, but drain it and off I go. You dont need to change the filter either. Ill even go so far as to check mine while on the water if Im in rough wind/ water and trying to fish the rocks... dont need any surprises.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

What model would you suggest getting for a 5.7 marine power engine? I have a screw-on type separator presently, but have had water in the fuel, its a messy job dropping the element and shaking it into a tub. It sure would be easier to turn a petcock to drain system.
Thanks in advance.

What model would you suggest getting for a 5.7 marine power engine? I have a screw-on type separator presently, but have had water in the fuel, its a messy job dropping the element and shaking it into a tub. It sure would be easier to turn a petcock to drain system.
Thanks in advance.

For an inboard outboard, youll have to get the one with the aluminum bowl. Just go to a supplier such as ocean pacific, western marine etc. Tell them what you have and what you wanna do and theyll fix you up.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

For an inboard outboard, youll have to get the one with the aluminum bowl. Just go to a supplier such as ocean pacific, western marine etc. Tell them what you have and what you wanna do and theyll fix you up.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Hello all,
as far as what IFL is saying here, X2 !!! I am one of the cases that had water in my fuel and I want to share what happened to me cause it might help others. In my case I did have a screw on/off water seperator filter that I removed and replaced with a new one about 2 weeks ago (after a few days of problem free fishing trips) My new filter apparently filled up with water VERY quickly (as I found out later upon having motor problems) What I did wrong was just dump out the original filter and never looked to see how much water was in it. I installed the new seperator filter and never expected it to fill with water so quickly. Had I installed a clear one I could have seen the water in the filter. A few days after the new filter was installed I started having a problem with my motor. I never thought of water in the fuel as I just changed my filter! As IFL suggests I am now going to get a water seperator filter with a drain on the so that I can quickly remove water. A clear bowl filter is even better as that allows you to see the water accumulate. If you don't have a filter with a drain, I'd check it VERY regularily. Had I checked the contents of my original filter, I would have probably noticed excess water in it therefore suggesting I check the new one very soon. Somehow water got into my tank quite recently and I am not 100 % sure why. BTW my mechanic didn't even check the gas filter the first time he looked at the motor , probably because I told him I had just changed it. The 2 week old water sep. filter was completely full of water and the motor fuel lines were full of water when he checked the second time. Its a wonder the motor was running at all....quite amazing. We figure the water would get sucked up depending on the movement of the boat and the angle it was running at

Hello all,
as far as what IFL is saying here, X2 !!! I am one of the cases that had water in my fuel and I want to share what happened to me cause it might help others. In my case I did have a screw on/off water seperator filter that I removed and replaced with a new one about 2 weeks ago (after a few days of problem free fishing trips) My new filter apparently filled up with water VERY quickly (as I found out later upon having motor problems) What I did wrong was just dump out the original filter and never looked to see how much water was in it. I installed the new seperator filter and never expected it to fill with water so quickly. Had I installed a clear one I could have seen the water in the filter. A few days after the new filter was installed I started having a problem with my motor. I never thought of water in the fuel as I just changed my filter! As IFL suggests I am now going to get a water seperator filter with a drain on the so that I can quickly remove water. A clear bowl filter is even better as that allows you to see the water accumulate. If you don't have a filter with a drain, I'd check it VERY regularily. Had I checked the contents of my original filter, I would have probably noticed excess water in it therefore suggesting I check the new one very soon. Somehow water got into my tank quite recently and I am not 100 % sure why. BTW my mechanic didn't even check the gas filter the first time he looked at the motor , probably because I told him I had just changed it. The 2 week old water sep. filter was completely full of water and the motor fuel lines were full of water when he checked the second time. Its a wonder the motor was running at all....quite amazing. We figure the water would get sucked up depending on the movement of the boat and the angle it was running at

Racor for sure, and check it every trip. If you are having an ongoing problem with water in tank, look at the whole system. I had a vent line that was feeding water a splash at a time into the tank. Over time I accumulated a fair amount of water, overwhelming the filter. I solved it by splicing in a large loop with a drain at the bottom in the vent line, then a thorough tank cleaning. No more problems.

Too much water, too little time

Racor for sure, and check it every trip. If you are having an ongoing problem with water in tank, look at the whole system. I had a vent line that was feeding water a splash at a time into the tank. Over time I accumulated a fair amount of water, overwhelming the filter. I solved it by splicing in a large loop with a drain at the bottom in the vent line, then a thorough tank cleaning. No more problems.

Too much water, too little time

quote:peahead stated: "A clear bowl filter is even better as that allows you to see the water accumulate."

You can not use a clear (glass or plastic) bowl on an inboard motor. In the event of an engine fire, the glass will break and feed fuel directly to the fire - not a good thing [:0]

May also void your insurance.

Holland-boat-fire.jpg

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

quote:peahead stated: "A clear bowl filter is even better as that allows you to see the water accumulate."

You can not use a clear (glass or plastic) bowl on an inboard motor. In the event of an engine fire, the glass will break and feed fuel directly to the fire - not a good thing [:0]

May also void your insurance.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Yeah Jim but that would sure solve the water in your tank problem !! :Dlol

I have an outboard ...
.... in an outboard fire I'd be more concerned about my rubber fuel lines melting.

Guess I've been lucky. owned the boat 18 years, (since new) always used the simple spin on fuel/water seperator filters and have never had a hint of water, ever. Have a filter on the main and kicker fuel lines and change them out each spring. Keep my tank full of fuel in winter. Just surprising I've never had a bad batch of fuel...reaching for wood!!

Back