Wasting our time steelheading in March????

J

JoeM

Hi guys,

I am originally from Ontario and do alot of floatfishing back home. I just recently moved out to BC and wanted to experience some steelheading out West. My friend will be coming out in March and we plan on doing some river fishing somewhere in Northern Vancouver. We're not 100% sure yet but I just wanted to ask if we're wasting our time trying to find a river with steelhead in March?? I mean, will most of the rivers be blown out by this time of the year from the spring run-off? Are we best off doing something else instead of river fishing when he comes down?

Thanks for any advice or help guys, we just wan to make this trip as memorable as we can..

Cheers, Joe M

Steelhead are biting on vancouver island know but i dont know about vancouver

March is THE month for steelheading. All rivers will finally be in prime shape from the winter floods and the freshets don't start until mid April. Warmer water temps will also help. If I could only fish one month of the year for steelhead it would be March.
Tight lines

Don't know about the mainland in march but as dr hook said march is a great month on the Island I can't see it being much different on the mainland in march.If you do hit the Island just check the regs to see what rivers are open as some have been closed for quite some time now.

March is for ripe ones now is prime time dude,There every were.:D

Well thanks for the uplifting news guys...Can't wait to give it a go. I actually live on the island right now and to hear you guys say the fishing is good is killing me. Reason is, I'm in University full time right now and don't have wheels, but fishing is always on my mind...March is the month I'll have a week off, so I'll try to use it wisely.

One last question; if there was one bait that I should bring with me to catch steelies, which one do you guys think it should be?

I brought some eggsucking leeches, pink worms and some yarn which seem to work great back home, is it the same out here?

Thanks again for the response guys, and good luck on the rivers..

Joe

Really not any different than back east. I highly recommend 6" pink worms, pink,red, orange jigs and #3 spinners all fished under a float. Red or pink spin n glos and wool work as well.

one whole skeen of roe usually works pretty good. make sure yoou dry it out with a liitle borax before using;)

Back