Washington State Marine Area 7 Chinook

Peahead

A question here that may be best answered by one of our American friends that fish Area 7 (San Juan Islands):

I have been reading up on the area 7 regs plus the general rules for marine areas in Wa. state. but there is one reg I read that may need some clarification. I had thought that in past winter trips there that if you retained your 1 hatchery Chinook over 22" ( 1 rod only allowed) that at that point you could not fish anymore. Other species being closed but no C&R after your one Chinook was kept. This would leave only your buddies 1 rod each out until they caught and retained their 1 Chinook.

This reg attached below seems to state that everyone on the boat can actually continue to fish until ALL fishers on the boat have kept their 1 Chinook limit. Another words with 4 people fishing it seems you do not have to reduce rods being fished until all 4 fishers on the boat have all kept their limit ( 1 hatch Chinook each ) .

Have I got this correct ? Thanks in advance for confirming or correcting if needed .....

IMG_4612.JPG

Last edited:
I believe that your understanding is correct. You can continue fishing until boat limit is obtained. I have been checked while on the water with a partial boat limit on board and still fishing several rods. Of course, it goes without saying that everyone on the boat must have a valid WA fishing license and identification. Single barbless hooks only, no trebles. Also, in Washington waters we are not allowed to retain native Chinook and they must be released at the waterline. Good luck and tight lines.
Fireball
SharronTime2
CCA member Washington

Thanks for the confirmation on the continuing of fishing until all fishers on board have each kept their limit. It does certainly state it that way.

I questioned the reg I think mainly because it seems to go against the '1 rod per person' rule at the point that say 3 guys have kept 1 fish each and now the last guy is left to get his fish. At that point 4 rods are allowed to keep fishing while the last guy looks for his keeper.

Back