Want crabs in Tofino?

Pippen

In Tofino for 9 days of R&R.

The place on the way into town on the east side of the road we used to buy dungies for $14-18 per crab.

Now.....they want $45 per crab.

10 people was going to be $450 for dinner....made a BIG pivot on that meal. Braised short ribs really worked well as a substitute.

Go down to the dock on the bottom of fourth street in tuff. I don't know what the rate is at the moment but we got thirty/ fourty cents on the Dollar for single claws or missing two big legs when I commi crabbed. There's a big crab fleet of Vietnamese and Chinese guys down there. I'm sure someone will take cash.

In Tofino for 9 days of R&R.

The place on the way into town on the east side of the road we used to buy dungies for $14-18 per crab.

Now.....they want $45 per crab.

10 people was going to be $450 for dinner....made a BIG pivot on that meal. Braised short ribs really worked well as a substitute.
Mmmm… Hawkins encrusted braised short ribs!

What's the Otter situation in Tofino now. Haven't they cleaned out the crabs?
It’s getting bad. A lot of the crabbers are fishing offshore in the deep to try and get away from them

It’s getting bad. A lot of the crabbers are fishing offshore in the deep to try and get away from them
Same in Coal Harbor now. We used to get them in 50 feet off the mouth of the Marble. Now you have to go 250 plus.

Same in Coal Harbor now. We used to get them in 50 feet off the mouth of the Marble. Now you have to go 250 plus.
Last time I fished the outside lighthouse Bank had to dodge a lot of floats

Wow. That's pretty recent, right? I recall being told you had to be inland of the narrows to get crab in Quatsino. They've migrated further into the inlet.

Just saw packs of 3 large Dungeness in Costco in Maui for $35. Same in Kamloops just the other day. How can they do that?

Just saw packs of 3 large Dungeness in Costco in Maui for $35. Same in Kamloops just the other day. How can they do that?
Same thing here in Oahu. Cooked crabs cheaper at Costco than BC. It was one of their Thanksgiving specials.
Back in 2018, we use to see live crabs from BC for sale at the Tempe market place for $6 lb.

Just came back from Costco in Oahu. They have crabs from the Seattle area on sale.
Cooked, frozen and flown out of Seattle.
$6.99 us a lb. These three cooked crabs cost $43.36 Canadian at an exchange rate of 1.32%

I didn't buy the crabs. I purchased fresh Mahi Mahi for dinner tomorrow.

Attachments

• Cooked Crabs $6.99 us a lb .jpg
    Cooked Crabs $6.99 us a lb .jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 37
Just came back from Costco in Oahu. They have crabs from the Seattle area on sale.
Cooked, frozen and flown out of Seattle.
$6.99 us a lb. These three cooked crabs cost $43.36 Canadian at an exchange rate of 1.32%

I didn't buy the crabs. I purchased fresh Mahi Mahi for dinner tomorrow.
They had whole crab at Costco in Burnaby yesterday $35 each crab

Back