Voltage issues....

RiverBoy

Out with my boat last weekend cruising around Port McNeill when I looked down at my gauges to notice voltage warning indicator flashing 11.6. It didn't increase as I cruised around on my main.
( 2003 Yamaha F-90 ) I shut off my main and trolled around on my T-8 kickerthat has a rectifier regulator. That increased the voltage ( on the gauge) to 12.2 Dragged the boat home to CR and pulled the battery. Water was down below the plates. Filled the battery with distilled water and then charged it. Haven't had a chance to run the motor yet. Is the battery the culprit, or is it more serious? ( voltage regulator? ) Anyone have a similar experience?

As you were able to charge the battery with your kicker, the problem would seem to lie in the charging system of your main engine. After checking all related connections, you will need to check both the stator and the regulator/rectifier. You might want to have your battery load tested as well, after fully charging it.

From the low water in the battery it sounds like you have a deep cycle battery/combo battery? If this is the case, your charging system is not made for a deep cycle - perhaps your "at-home" charger is made for a deep cycle, but the Yamaha one is not.
If it is a starting battery then it is probably the regulator.
As to whether or not the battery is toast, it SHOULD charge to 14.4 - 14.8 volts or so.

You CAN charge a deep cycle battery with the standard charging system (it's made to charge a starting battery) FOR A WHILE, but not long. It cooks the battery. Deep cycle batteries need a 3 stage charging regulator.

You can log onto www.balmar.net to research solutions.

I have such a system on my boat. An external Balmar regulator replaces the regulator that comes standard on your alternator. The deep cycle battery then chargers the starting battery via a Balmar "duo charge".

For sure your main is not charging. IF you need a mechanic call me 203 1830. Im also in CR and am taking jobs. Dave.

Back