Video – Monster 15.5 lb. Walleye Bay of Quinte Part 2

This video is Part 2 of our Bay of Quinte walleye trip.
Here you'll see numerous fish being caught including one just under 12 pounds as well as a huge 15.5 pound trophy (at the 7:53 mark of the video). It was an unusually mild December day with a bit of rain in the afternoon and a consistent 'walleye chop' all day. A good bite throughout with all of the popular stick baits producing well. Most fish released with a couple of the smaller ones taken for the table.

Hope you enjoy!

[4RxIhLj4t8E] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RxIhLj4t8E

MY GAWD__ That boat is a floating porcupine.... I will keep my comments on how that fish fought to myself :) But-- its fishing, so its all good....

MY GAWD__ That boat is a floating porcupine.... I will keep my comments on how that fish fought to myself :) But-- its fishing, so its all good....

Welcome to trolling in SW ontario. LOL . We used to do the same trolling for steelhead and Waldo's in Erie. Quite the gong show sometimes when you get 4+ rods hooked up!And in regards to the fight. its a straight crankem in fishery. They fight almost identical to a ling IMO. if you are jigging them they can be pretty scrappy, trolling just reel em in.

Great fish and nice work on release. Hope he made it~!

Lorne

Last edited by a moderator:
Know what you are saying Lorne...but after catching MANY walleye in the NWT, I think you are giving them too much credit by comparing them to LC LOL!!!

Great video. I have caught a few walleye in my time, having been born and raised in the Bay of Quinte region. I have never done that kind of "porcupine" trolling on a larger boat, all my fishing was either jigging or trolling in a canoe. When you aren't hauling butt around the lake like these guys do, a walleye (or pickerel as we call them there) actually can put up a decent fight. Also like many times the larger they get, the more sluggish they tend to be. Best tasting fish, though, rivals halibut IMO for taste, maybe not texture.

Also, just like trolling for trout (and salmon to a lesser extent), if you go too fast you pull the fight out of them. I like to relax, and only use the motor or a paddle to keep the fish where I want it in relation to the boat (behind or alongside)

Back