Verado ECU remapping - Simon Motorsports

Homer

http://www.simonmotorsports.com Offers ECM/ECU remapping.
Called them today and cost $850 to get 135HP Verado programmed up to 200HP. Read some good results from different users and even found some US coast guards used them. Takes them a couple days once recieved. Yes my warranty is expired so can't viod that.

Opinions ?

/fishon

135 ---->200hp would dramatically shorten the life of the engine.

if you need/want more hp get a bigger engine

Pretty impressive what they can do. I know the 6 cylinder v rods are the same engine with different mapping, 225-300hp. Would not expect any engine damage.

Shipped ECU out and will be back this week. Will post results after testing. Having it upgraded to 225HP. i spoke to them at great length and they having been working on ECU's for almost 19 years. Since I am at the bottom end of the series (135,150,175,200) I will have the most to gain. All of these engines in this series can be upgraded to 225HP.
All of these engines as well have the same block and parts and the only difference is what is flashed on the ECU.

V6 Verados can also be upgraded by a simple flash except the 300HP which would require extra/changing parts

Results from a rescue boat

We operate a Protector 9M Fast Response/Rescue vessel (30' Rigid Inflatable Boat, 6700 lbs with 125 gal full fuel and water) with twin 2009 Verado 250's. Prior to modification, our most efficient cruise was 30 kts burning 17 gph at 3900 rpm with a top speed of 57 mph.

Simon motorsports modified the ECMs from 250 to 315 hp and we changed from the Mercury 14 5/8" x 21" pitch Revolution 4-blade prop to the new generation Eco Enertia 16" x 23" pitch 3-blade props. Both ECM and prop changes are reported to improve fuel economy. Generally Mercury recommends the same pitch transitioning to the Eco but with increased horsepower, we opted for more pitch to prevent red lining the motors. Max rpm at WOT prior to changes was 6100 rpm and is now 5900.

STOCK: 500 hp - Economy cruise 35 mph, 17 gph, 1.7 nmpg, 2 mpg; Max speed 57 mph

MODIFIED: 630 hp - Economy cruise 40 mph, 17 gph, 1.9 nmg, 2.2 mpg: Max speed 65 mph

Cruise increased 15% getting us there sooner at the same fuel burn of 17 gph total
Range increased 12%
Max speed increased 14%
ROI on the cost of the ECM mods and props was 1 year with $2500/yr saved each year after.

Those are real numbers based on our last 2000 nm of operation but your numbers will vary with vessel weight, hull type, props, etc.

We would gladly have made the modifications without any of those improvements based on boat handling alone. The boat has n improvement in hole shot, literally levitating off the water with minimal bow rise, and virtually claws at the water like downforce on a race car. The handling improvement was nothing less than dramatic. It's all about handling with rescue boats that routinely go out in conditions none would venture. We now have better handling in rough conditions, surf conditions, better/tighter pivot turns crucial to safe rescue swimmer deployments and recoveries. These improvements far outweigh the engine numbers mentioned above, it saves lives.

ECU came back after reflash and now reinstalled. Reflashed to 255hp

A big thanks to FA as we tested tonight. WOW. Very impressed.

Before reflash with 14 1/2 x 17 Enertia prop
Max RPM. 5500
Max speed 36.4 WOT
Cruise at 4000 RPM at 23.6mph

After reflash and 14 1/2 x 19 Black Max prop
Max RPM 6190
Max Speed 43.6 WOT
Cruise at 4000RPM at 28mph

All in with flash, shipping and prop around $1500. Cheapest upgrade I have done and saved around 15k if would of traded in my 135hp for a 200hp Verado. A 225hp would require power steering.

On the Mercury website I am getting the same results as they tested on the same boat with a 200hp Verado with an 14 x 19 Enertia prop.

\fishon

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great. What's the recommended RPM range for that engine? Could you go faster or cruise more efficiently with a different prop?

I keep looking at the Mercury/Quicksilver Enertia ECO prop for my boat. I wish I bought one last year before the dollar exchange rate nosedived.

It looks like i could do this for my df200,bumping it up to a 250.I wonder if its harmful to the engine?keep us updated please

Will not change props as the new prop is a perfect setup right now and getting great RPM range. My RPM range specs for the engine is 5800-6400RPM.

As for is the upgrade harmful. NO as all parts are same except what is programmed on the ECU. That is for my Verado series 135 -200hp. Do not know about other makes.
I did lots of reseairch and talked directly to them before I went ahead. That and being in business for almost 20 years put my mind at ease.

/ fishon

Updates

Was convinced to reinstall my Enertia prop. Since the Enertia prop was designed and optimized for Verado's I thought I would give it try. Big improvement over the Black Max. As the Black Max would slip the Enertia does not. Not only way more bite but also way better handling.

Over all feels like a totally different boat with power to spare. Without a doubt the flash was worth the costs. The results are from the Merc Smart Monitor.

Before flash
Enertia 14 1/2 x 17
Max rpm 5510
Max speed 36.4 mph

After flash
Black max 14 1/2 x 19
Max rpm 6050
Max speed 41.4 mph

Enertia 14 1/2 x 17
Max rpm 6450
Max speed 45.6

\fishon

Sounds like a great upgrade! Also good news for guys looking at used motors...buy a 150 Verado and spend an extra $900 and get a 250 Verado! Sweet!

Back