Tuning a Trailler with Rollers

jimbob

I bought a good used trailer with rollers which doesn't quite fit my boat (16 foot double eagle). How do you "tune" the position of the rollers to ensure that they provide the best possible support for the boat. Also has anyone converted a trailer from rollers to bunks which seem to be more stable to me.

I do not know how, but think you would be smart to find out what is important and make sure that it supports in the right places so you dont get a distorted bottom, especially right in front of the transom. I think mine sat 20 years with the back rollers too far from the transom. I moved the forward bow stop forward to add tongue weight and now the back rollers support under the transom.

When I bought my boat, the trailer it came with was junk, so I put it on another that I had which is a bunk/roller combo. I took it to my buddy's place cause I didn't know how to get the boat from one to another, and he's a boat rebuilder.

Basically, he jacked and blocked it up at the rear, then hung the bow in a sling held up with a tractor bucket. Rolled out the old, and rolled in the new trailer. He set the back down on the trailer, then lowered the bow sling to where it should sit on the trailer. Then loosened all the rollers, and pushed them up to the hull, then tightened them back up. Let the rest of the weight off the front removing the sling.

The boat was now sitting firmly on all rollers and snugly in the bunks. I would assume it the same pretty much for a full rollered trailer. Of course, he sure made it look easy, but he's set up just for doing that stuff.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

Back