Truck Camper Rental would anyone rent?

kaelc

I've been checking RV rental sites and thinking of listing my Lance slide in truck camper. Would anyone here consider it? Problem I figure is few people own a 1 ton or a new 3/4ton short box and even fewer have tie downs. It has 3 beds (1 table), outside/inside shower. Adding solar to be 100% off grid, currently it has two house batteries and propane. I could always buy a little Honda knock of generator to allow the AC to work. This style: https://www.smartrvguide.com/L52477797

Would you pay $100 Canadian Pesos a night? $125? Barely seems worth it as I feel like I'll spend a lot of time under trucks and have an inventory of tie downs. Here is the closest competitor and he rents it with a truck! I couldn't even wrap my head around ICBC commercial insurance if I was to include my truck. https://ca.outdoorsy.com/rv-rental/..._139009-listing?from=2020-07-09&to=2020-07-16

Convenience of being about to easily offload with electric jacks wouldn't be realistic for newbies but for boat owners being able to tow your boat and sleep in a queen size bed with the kids in the back bed might be worth it. Cheaper than two footitis but so is a hotel.

Last edited:
nah. the more complex you make something the less likely people are going to go for it and even if they do there is potential to cause you a few thousand in damages if they go for it and screw up. i can easily imagine someone trying to back up into your camper and crashing into it. or dropping it down the road by forgetting to bolt it down. or a million other scenarios which result in the camper departing the truck at velocity.
if you rent with a truck people can just drive it around the hit the button or whatever to drop the legs.
most people can barely manage a class c which basically just requires you to drive it around and park it.
boat owners can just camp in the back of the SUV/minivan towing the boat. not everyone tows with a pickup. or put a mattress in the truck bed and get a truck box cover. or use a motel. or camp out in the boat itself by dropping the front jack. the possibilities are endless.

If you are thinking about doing this for a little side money, the easiest way is to buy a tent trailer because they are cheap and light enough for SUV's or minivans to haul so you aren't renting out your own vehicle. I know people that rent out numerous tent trailers and after one summer the RV is paid off from the rental cost and is making money

Never going to work without your truck. And if you did go that route, it would likely only make financial sense if you did it under the table without ICBC's involvement. But that is another can of worms....

We used to camp at cougar creek and have since upgraded to Moutcha camping. Tents. This year with the restrictions I would have rented your camper if it meant I could have been fully enclosed. I have a 1 ton. It would have been a one off for me though. We are in the lodge this summer at Moutcha which will be an interesting spoil...

guy I work with has an OLD trailer that doesn’t move from its spot and he has it on Airbnb and does remarkably well - situated near an outdoor wedding venue though - but I feel like that kind of set up - stationary and very basic is probably a better bet. Less moving parts, less issues (and headache!).

We used to camp at cougar creek and have since upgraded to Moutcha camping. Tents. This year with the restrictions I would have rented your camper if it meant I could have been fully enclosed. I have a 1 ton. It would have been a one off for me though. We are in the lodge this summer at Moutcha which will be an interesting spoil...

guy I work with has an OLD trailer that doesn’t move from its spot and he has it on Airbnb and does remarkably well - situated near an outdoor wedding venue though - but I feel like that kind of set up - stationary and very basic is probably a better bet. Less moving parts, less issues (and headache!).

Survey complete and I have a new destination for camping and boat...going to have to run the numbers on if I can tow the boat and camper legally..... thanks for your help boys. No camper rentals for me...

Good luck getting insurance for a rental camper.

If you read that guys ad, he has just started to advertise this rental. No actual customers yet. I can guarantee you he does not have proper insurance coverage, even though might think ICBC will cover him. First damages he gets (probably on the first rental) he will have a fight on his hands, and will probably stop renting it out.

Those Palomino Maverick campers are the biggest pieces of crap that were ever made. He probably doesn’t care it if gets destroyed.

Someone once told me, never lend out your chainsaw or your wife. I would probably add truck camper to that list.

Back