Trap tracker / anti theft

Old Deckhand

Hey fellow Forum members, lost couple sets last year myself - really frosted my cake, and have been researching anti-theft and found something out of France.

Here is what I have found so far, not cheap , and you have to send them SIM card so not ideal yet, but technology is in the works, we are not alone, I am looking at getting a SIM card and may try one as an experiment, unit sealed in solid resin, with inductive charger, so 100% waterproof once built. So they are on right track but not sure if this is "it" .

Hi John,

Thanks for your interest in our GPS 'Sea Tracker', which protects your crab traps from theft.

Here is a link to our website product page :
https://www.heoldesign.com/GPS-Sea-...raps-oyster-farms-and-outboard-motors?lang=en

It is very simple to use : in case of movement (threshold adjustable), you will receive a SMS with direct link to Google maps on your mobile phone.
Current version works with the 2G network (maybes no more available in Vancouver ?), but we have the new version (4G - LTE) which is in final tests in our lab.
Also you will have to send us a nano-SIM card (1 nano-SIM card in each tracker) before the resin moulding process.

As well as the GPS position, the data transmitted by the tracker are :
-battery alert
-external temperature (water)
-number of satellites tracked

Charging the battery is very easy : you just need to put the tracker on the inductive charger.

Last year, the police arrested robbers in France, thanks to our trackers.
https://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagn...ards-se-font-pincer-de-retour-au-port-5825675

The price for 1 Sea Tracker in plastic case is 129 Euro, and the wireless charger is 10 Euro. And we offer discount for several units purchased.

Best regards,

Olivier Descoubès

Pôle Phoenix - Route du radôme
22560 PLEUMEUR-BODOU
France
T: (+33)296 48 46 05

M:(+33)603 55 19 45
E: odescoubes@heoldesign.com
www.heoldesign.com

Hey fellow Forum members, lost couple sets last year myself - really frosted my cake, and have been researching anti-theft and found something out of France.

Here is what I have found so far, not cheap , and you have to send them SIM card so not ideal yet, but technology is in the works, we are not alone, I am looking at getting a SIM card and may try one as an experiment, unit sealed in solid resin, with inductive charger, so 100% waterproof once built. So they are on right track but not sure if this is "it" .

Hi John,

Thanks for your interest in our GPS 'Sea Tracker', which protects your crab traps from theft.

Here is a link to our website product page :
https://www.heoldesign.com/GPS-Sea-...raps-oyster-farms-and-outboard-motors?lang=en

It is very simple to use : in case of movement (threshold adjustable), you will receive a SMS with direct link to Google maps on your mobile phone.
Current version works with the 2G network (maybes no more available in Vancouver ?), but we have the new version (4G - LTE) which is in final tests in our lab.
Also you will have to send us a nano-SIM card (1 nano-SIM card in each tracker) before the resin moulding process.

As well as the GPS position, the data transmitted by the tracker are :
-battery alert
-external temperature (water)
-number of satellites tracked

Charging the battery is very easy : you just need to put the tracker on the inductive charger.

Last year, the police arrested robbers in France, thanks to our trackers.
https://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagn...ards-se-font-pincer-de-retour-au-port-5825675

The price for 1 Sea Tracker in plastic case is 129 Euro, and the wireless charger is 10 Euro. And we offer discount for several units purchased.

Best regards,

Olivier Descoubès

Pôle Phoenix - Route du radôme
22560 PLEUMEUR-BODOU
France
T: (+33)296 48 46 05

M:(+33)603 55 19 45
E: odescoubes@heoldesign.com
www.heoldesign.com

Sounds like it's a group buy. Would love something like that.

Sounds like it's a group buy. Would love something like that.

I wonder whether the GPS signal would have issues at depth? Lobster and crab fishing can be done in less than 100 feet whereas we all know the depths that prawns are fished at. That's a lot of water and interference on a GPS signal.

The other option would be to have a device which senses when it's out of the water. You have a keypad and and LCD screen. as soon as it's out of the water, it beeps LOUD and tells you to enter a 6 digit code. You have 20 seconds to enter in the code. You are given 2 options, either enter in the code or drop it back into the water. There are 2 versions of the device:

Model A: Filled with a mixture of human and animal excrement mixed with a strong adhesive. The contents will burst and propel itself 360 degrees and adheres very well to skin, clothes, and hair.

Model B: Filled with a permanent dye which will burst and cover the entire boat that thieves are on and all who are on that boat. Once they get back to the dock or while on water they can easily be reported to authorities by the public.

I get a feeling Model A would sell out.

Last edited:
I wonder whether the GPS signal would have issues at depth? Lobster and crab fishing can be done in less than 100 feet whereas we all know the depths that prawns are fished at. That's a lot of water and interference on a GPS signal.
I had assumed I'd be attaching it to my float to be honest.

I was actually toying with the idea of building something like this but I want to do it with dye packs. You lift my buoy out of the water for more than 10sec without disarming you and your whole boat get covered in purple dye... The problem with these trackers is that they are easy to cut off and drop back in the water. In my opinion the best options would be to have the traps hidden from view but as we know DFO isn't friendly to that kind of thing

I would hate to accidentally get hooked with a float that stained the boat and me for life as I lifted it to untangle it from my gear.

I've been looking for something like this, though not as high end as this for years.

My dad traps in an area that is really shallow and it takes just a little bit of rough weather to move his traps or if it was really bad, to throw them on shore.
There are maybe 10-20 people trapping in the same area, the old timers have their own spots and don't encroach on other old timers spots.
But there is the younger guys that go out and check the name on the buoys and then just about set their traps in a circle around the pots of the guys they know are doing good fishing :/

Anyway, on the map in red shows the area he's trapping, in yellow is where he can find his traps washed up after bad weather.

I think what Old Deckhand has found is very good for tracking, but it seems dependent on GSM network, and that means it has to be above surface/stolen :)

I have been looking for something like a bluetooth tag, bluetooth has a theoretical range of 300 feet, I did a test a few years ago with one of the first tags that came out, the tile I think, put it in a waterproof container and lost signal at 3 feet below the surface.

I though I were a tech genious at the time, thinking I'd attach these bluetooth tags to his pots, so that if the weather had moved them he'd get like a james bond homing beacon on the tablet he has as a backup to his chart plotter :)

Hope I don't break any rules by reviving an old thread but I'm still looking for ways to track traps while they are underwater, and with a system that is affordable for anyone :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_67.jpg
    Screenshot_67.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 99
I was at Home Depot today and at the checkout they had these Milwaukee “tags” that are meant to track your tools via GPS. Looked like keychains.

Immediately I thought of how that would be of use for prawning gear and dirt bikes. I’ll be looking more into it for sure.

For tracking you could buy a cheap/old android phone, install a sim card with data and then have it send location back via "find my phone" app. If you wanted to get fancy you could cut out a hole in a foam float and then hide it in there. GPS doesn't work well under water (its a radio signal) but it would work on the surface. Could even set it up so it alerts you if its moved out of a set area (say 100ft or 200ft box)

I was at Home Depot today and at the checkout they had these Milwaukee “tags” that are meant to track your tools via GPS. Looked like keychains.

Immediately I thought of how that would be of use for prawning gear and dirt bikes. I’ll be looking more into it for sure.
Just looked this up, looks like its only good up to a 100 feet and it works off bluetooth not gps, can't see it working for traps. But on job sites where guys like to borrow tools with out asking could work, unless they pry the tag off and leave in your tool box.

Just looked this up, looks like its only good up to a 100 feet and it works off bluetooth not gps, can't see it working for traps. But on job sites where guys like to borrow tools with out asking could work, unless they pry the tag off and leave in your tool box.
They won't work whatsoever. They have to ping off of other people using the app.

Someone fill out the form to find out what these cost please. Keep seeing it on IG but hate having to "request pricing"

Back