training for proper handling and releasing of fish

who are the entitled wasters?

Just keep in mind that NOTHING is wasted in nature-- one dies-- something else eats. Until someone can demonstrate that there is a REAL problem, not just an opinion driven problem, I dont think we need to go as far as a mandatory test.
So by your logic there is nothing ever wasted, or is that only a rule for when you fish? Bad commercial fisherman are wasters but what is it called when you do it? Feeding mother nature? It's the same difference, didn't make it back to spawn equals dead.

Keep it up! Pretty soon we will have to pass a catch and release program and have a catch and release permit to be able to obtain a fishing license. Do we not have enough hoops to jump through yet?

I am totally for a c.o.r.e. type program but it may come with a heavy price to the industry so I see the challenges. Maybe a volunteer program/certificate that is recognized by dfo/province would be a good start. I would be good for kids to have or to learn early.

I am all for education. Its part of the learning process as a developing angler. (yes- I know, there are some that dont give a damn about proper release methods, but you are not going to change them with a mandatory course that will just waste resources ) If someone does want to get a jump on educating him/herself there ARE courses that do that. Example .. The Fresh Water Fisheries Society Learn to Fish program. Many Rod and Gun clubs do the same. Here in the Comox valley we have a course that teaches salt water angling through the Recreation Center... But it seems that some here want to cut a "one size fits all" and have everyone take a CORE type course.... Shades of the gun registration fiasco!

:) :) :) :) :)

I am all for education. Its part of the learning process as a developing angler. (yes- I know, there are some that dont give a damn about proper release methods, but you are not going to change them with a mandatory course that will just waste resources ) If someone does want to get a jump on educating him/herself there ARE courses that do that. Example .. The Fresh Water Fisheries Society Learn to Fish program. Many Rod and Gun clubs do the same. Here in the Comox valley we have a course that teaches salt water angling through the Recreation Center... But it seems that some here want to cut a "one size fits all" and have everyone take a CORE type course.... Shades of the gun registration fiasco!

helping the future learn the right way

We won't ever be able to get a poacher or hack to release fish properly so I agree that the effects of this couarse would only help those who are interested in learning. Maybe core like fishing courses should be mandetory for BC school kids. It is well worth exploring what we would be able to accomplish with this, many juvinile fish through to spawning salmon will be helped. I bet all new anglers would enjoy learning about the quarry they're after. Even waiters have to take a serving it right course. There is an abundance of ignorance and self entitled anglers who beleive they are above the law. This won't change this but may help with future anglers.

willing to help

Keep it up! Pretty soon we will have to pass a catch and release program and have a catch and release permit to be able to obtain a fishing license. Do we not have enough hoops to jump through yet?
I have no problem with this. I have a pal, core, serve it right and though they don't stop me from screwing up they give me the knowledge to not, the rest is up to will. I bought a licence on line, hardly a hoop to jump through. What will you do, what can you do.

When you have to show up some where for a course that is put on by someone who is just interested in claiming the fees charged, I would tend to have my doubts that it would be worth the powder to blow it up. :) I agree with you the idea is intentionally good and properly instituted could have some effect, I just do not see that happening.
You would stand a better chance of trying to convince the commies that they need to learn about this before they get a quota.

I have no problem with this. I have a pal, core, serve it right and though they don't stop me from screwing up they give me the knowledge to not, the rest is up to will. I bought a licence on line, hardly a hoop to jump through. What will you do, what can you do.

Sounds like a good idea, but as a few have said this would just be another money grab, hoop to jump though, pain in the arse! Releasing a fish carefully isnt rocket science. I would rather see a few take a mandatory boating safety course instead.

When you have to show up some where for a course that is put on by someone who is just interested in claiming the fees charged, I would tend to have my doubts that it would be worth the powder to blow it up.

sounds like my med A3 course.. common sense to morons

common sense

:rolleyes:rolleyes:
When you have to show up some where for a course that is put on by someone who is just interested in claiming the fees charged, I would tend to have my doubts that it would be worth the powder to blow it up.

sounds like my med A3 course.. common sense to morons
When you purchase your lisence it could be a very simple test, open book with the regulations, most anglers don't even know how to comprehend regulations so if anything it would help them learn how to decifer the regulations. Should be done online. Of course that is hoping they even spent the time to purchase a fishing lisence. No one on this forum would have any problems passing such a simple test, and it would help create better anglers. I'm always amazed when anglers can't find a lake or river in their regulations and can't figure out that it then falls under the general regs for the region. Common sense is not always so common. Maybe taking the test would get you a membership in a sport fishing society or something similar.

:rolleyes:rolleyes:
When you purchase your lisence it could be a very simple test, open book with the regulations, most anglers don't even know how to comprehend regulations so if anything it would help them learn how to decifer the regulations. Should be done online. Of course that is hoping they even spent the time to purchase a fishing lisence. No one on this forum would have any problems passing such a simple test, and it would help create better anglers. I'm always amazed when anglers can't find a lake or river in their regulations and can't figure out that it then falls under the general regs for the region. Common sense is not always so common. Maybe taking the test would get you a membership in a sport fishing society or something similar.

Nope-- bad idea.

Back