Trailers vs Saltwater

Does anyone know of any preventative measures one can take with a galvanized trailer to stop/prevent rust?? I am getting some on the lower points of the trailers cross members, I wash the trailer after every saltwater use but am starting to see rust. I got the trailer new in 95.

Not to bad considering how much salt it has seen.I'm guessing your starting to see rust lines at the welds? You will get that.There are products avail.Galvacon is a good one.It is a galvanize spray paint,just make sure the area is dry(water not weeping through weld)a bit of a clean with a wire hand brush to remove rust stains will help.I buy it from Acklands,but there might be a comparable product at your local Crappy tire.One note, it is kind of a matt grey colour and does not look exactly the same as galvanizing.It is not as tough as the real thing but for seasonal touch ups it's all right.Good luck,Lots of masking with the boat on!!!

Sorry. Fluid Film is a spray-on film coating that comes off as kind of waxy, great for protecting steel parts from salt water like brakes and winches. Your standard "Galvanazing Paint", AKA Galvacon" as mentioned, is what you use for protecting your frame rails where rust may be poking thru the factory galvanizing. It's basicly zinc powder with a single part acrylic bonder (The Galvacon or whatever you use).

http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/

hm_temp.jpg

http://www.buycorrosionx.com/cat--CorrosionX--ProductsCX.html

Best stuff I have found. Non-harmful for the environment and has excellent dielectric properties to protect your electric components. Read the specs and product information to learn more.

It's not cheap but one application at the begining of the season and one at the end is typically all you'll need. Buy it by the gallon for best price.

Corrosion X HD will be good for your trailer.

I spray fluid film directly on my outboard block.(save for the coils and plug leads.Lasts most of the season and doesnt dry out.Bye bye corrosion and salt!:D

Back