Trailer wanted

Heres a question, on a tandem trailer with 3500lb axles is it legal to have brakes on only 1 axle?

Trailer Brake Requirements
  • Gross trailer weight of 1,400 kg (3,080 Ibs) or less – Brakes are required if the trailer and its load weigh more than 50% of the licensed weight of the vehicle towing it.
  • Gross trailer weight of 1,401 kg (3,081 Ibs) to 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) – Brakes are required, including a breakaway brake.
  • Gross trailer weight of more than 2,800 kg (6,160 Ibs) – Brakes are required, and the trailer brakes must be capable of being applied by the driver independently of the towing vehicle's brakes. A surge brake does NOT meet this requirement. A breakaway brake is also required. Brakes are required on all axles.

The sole exemption to this rule is for a 3 axle house trailer, in which case brakes are only required on 2 of the 3 axles.

Just a thought-full roller trailer-Remove the rear rollers-install bunks back there,-now you have spare rollers . On another note-remove all the press fit nuts -drill the arms and replace with stainless cotter pins and washers. Can be done as they fail. The arms drill easily as they are only mild steel.
I am with you on the rollers on the front, bunk idea on the stern. I like how a boat aligns on the trailer with rollers on the bow and guides on the stern to sit on bunks. I think I will end up with something similar to you in terms of final axles, tires, brakes, oil bath etc but I would love to find the a few bucks to save on the trailer as the boat will bleed me out a bit. Wish I was doing this 3 years ago.

How heavy will you end up being? Will you have to go elec over hydraulics?
I think boat loaded with gear, fuel etc will be somewhere between 7500-8000 lbs. This is the hard thing with a custom build as you don't have easy numbers to go off. Do not want to be overweight on the trailer though so the number in my head is a trailer around 9600

I think boat loaded with gear, fuel etc will be somewhere between 7500-8000 lbs. This is the hard thing with a custom build as you don't have easy numbers to go off. Do not want to be overweight on the trailer though so the number in my head is a trailer around 9600
Things to think on, they will give you 10% on an Overweight call. Your tow vehicle tongue weight can carry up to 10% of your boat weight. Trailer failures usually occur in this order, Tires, then brakes(usually stuck on) then bearings(usually caused by a failed rear seal or brakes over-heating). Seldom a failed frame or spring which can be detected visually. Try to stay away from a triple-a trailer rated at 8500 is an amazingly beefy trailer and can really carry much more!! That is what the manufacturer has guaranteed to the Gov that this can carry to get the placard. I'd pay more attention to the towing vehicle in regards towing capacity

Things to think on, they will give you 10% on an Overweight call. Your tow vehicle tongue weight can carry up to 10% of your boat weight. Trailer failures usually occur in this order, Tires, then brakes(usually stuck on) then bearings(usually caused by a failed rear seal or brakes over-heating). Seldom a failed frame or spring which can be detected visually. Try to stay away from a triple-a trailer rated at 8500 is an amazingly beefy trailer and can really carry much more!! That is what the manufacturer has guaranteed to the Gov that this can carry to get the placard. I'd pay more attention to the towing vehicle in regards towing capacity
Towing with a 1 ton Dodge Diesel Dually so that part is well taken care of. An 8500lb trailer is a lot easier to find or put together so maybe i just need to focus on that. Just sorting out my power right now and need to sit down and do some boat math.

Towing with a 1 ton Dodge Diesel Dually so that part is well taken care of. An 8500lb trailer is a lot easier to find or put together so maybe i just need to focus on that. Just sorting out my power right now and need to sit down and do some boat math.
I think you will be well served by a good 85 or 8800 lb trailer especially with that rig for towing. I'm towing with a 1 ton Duramax dually--Don't even know it's there!! Good Luck!

Back