Trailer Tires

Tips Up

Anyone comment on Westlake Brand Tires?

Need to replace on my trailer for 17.5ft boat.
Looking for something well priced.

Had Carlisle last but they did not wear well.

Thanks!
Tips

Well Carlisle seems to be one of the high end brands lol! Not wearing well? I would look at issues with your axle, weight etc. My experience with trailer tires is they usually rot off the rims before there is any tread wear, or start leaking air and blow a sidewall out before you notice. Most made in China with names you would chose for tampons however misspelled lol!

I run a pair of 175/80R13 Westlakes on my Karavan trailer hauling a 16 ft.DE.I haven't put a ton of miles on them but they seem to be wearing well.So far I've been impressed with them.

Yeah, I was just looking for new trailer tires as well as mine are starting to split but have very low miles on them and have full tred. I usually have good luck just going to Costco for my vehicle tires and thought I would take a look for trailer tires there. The names are indeed funny, on Costco.ca they have BRIWAY or RUISEN. But with Costco's return policy, they could be worth the gamble.

These are not household names, as far as I know. Wonder why there aren't more mainstream tire manufactures that can pump out a decent trailer tire.

Thanks

I ordered the Westlakes.
Price was good.

I recommend Integra Tire (6 Mile Tire) in Colwood for Trailer Tires.
Pricing is good and service is great.

I did just replace wheels on my Utility Trailer and got those from Princess Auto.
It was cheaper to get the assembled rim and tire on sale than it was to get new tires put on existing rims anywhere else.
But you need to catch the Sale. Reg. $199 on for $99.
There is no service at Princess Auto.

Truck Tires I like Westcoast Tire for price and service.

Thanks
Tips

If your tires are rotting or cracking before they are wearing out, buy a couple tire covers and slip them on when your trailer is parked. The sun is degrading your tires. This little bit of prevention makes a HUGE difference.

I had a set of Carlisle on my last boat trailer for my jet boat. Multiple trips to northern BC from the lower mainland, plus regular use. I would guess over 20,000k on those tires without any major tread wear, I would say I could have good another 30 to 40k out of them.

As said, if you're seeing rapid wear on trailer tires either they are overloaded or there is something out of alignment on your trailer.

Nothing wrong with using an LT (light truck) tire on a trailer. Perfectly legal and a much, much better tire that will probably last a lot longer imo... The trailer for my boat (triple axle 16,000# rating) came with them. A light truck tire is generally designed and rated to hold more weight and take much more abuse. They rarely rot out like regular trailer tires.

Little tougher to find lt 14", I ran 14" passenger radials on a single axle with a 16 1/4' runabout no problem Kokohaula etc. Some people say they shimmy more side to side but I didn't notice anything.

Back