Town Hall: Cohen Commission on Sockeye: Roadmap or costly waste of time and money?

tincan

Got this email last week and thought some of you Vancouver people might want to attend this event:

March 22: MP Town Hall - Cohen Commission on Sockeye: Roadmap or costly waste of time and money?

On Saturday, March 22, 2014 join MP Joyce Murray and a panel of leading experts on BC's West Coast salmon to discuss the future of BC's wild salmon stocks.

Saturday, March 22, 2014
Registration 1:00 pm
Time 1:30 - 3:30 pm
Ryerson United Church, Memorial Hall (2195 45th Ave at Yew)

Expert Panelists:

Brian Riddell, President and CEO of the Pacific Salmon Foundation and former DFO top scientist.
Brenda Gaertner, lawyer and was lead counsel for the First Nations Coalition before the Cohen Commission.
Jordan Point, Executive Director of the First Nations Fisheries Council of British Columbia.
Stan Proboszcz, fisheries biologist with Watershed Watch Salmon Society.

Please RSVP: joyce.murray.c1c@parl.gc.ca or call 604-664-9220

It would be nice if some of these meetings were held outside of the lower mainland, such as the capital of the province where salmon are a big interest.

Joyce Murrray and some first nations reps.....i wonder if it will be biased at all..................just saying.

Joyce Murrray and some first nations reps.....i wonder if it will be biased at all..................just saying.
What a politically spun mis-statement! Neither Dr. Brian Riddell, nor Stan Proboszcz are "first nations reps" so your facile generalisation misses 50% of the panel reps. Looks like a great balance and a very informed panel to me.

..... ANYWAYS..... like I said, feel free to come out and get involved in the conversation with people who live and breath this stuff every day. Whether you think they are biased or not is your opinion. The fact is they have seen and heard a lot as it relates to salmon and the Cohen Commission and can probably offer some insight/facts you may not have considered before... and hopefully you can teach them stuff as well. If you have questions/concerns please speak up at the Q&A part of the session which is usually quite extensive at these sort of town hall events.

OR, sit at home and peck away on your keyboard with snide remarks. Either way, no skin off my back. I'm not the type to let these comments derail what I consider to be a very serious subject but I'm sure there are others on this forum that see a few initial negative/cynical comments and decide not to post links to events like this or to post their opinions on the fear that some people on this forum have nothing better to do than chirp legitimate posts.

Looking forward to seeing you there

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-on-salmon-stocks/article18901535/?cmpid=rss1

First Nations fishers fed up with government inaction on salmon inquiry
MARK HUME
VANCOUVER — The Globe and Mail
Published Wednesday, May. 28 2014, 8:10 PM EDT
Last updated Thursday, May. 29 2014, 11:08 AM EDT

Frustration and anger are growing in native communities along the Fraser River because Ottawa has failed to implement recommendations on how to bring back the sockeye salmon fisheries.

After spending $26-million and almost three years inquiring into the state of sockeye stocks in the Fraser, B.C. Supreme Court Justice Bruce Cohen handed in his final report in October, 2012. The document recommended ways for Ottawa to restore and protect salmon runs, but in written responses to questions in the House recently, federal ministers indicated only eight of the proposals have been acted on.

“In the communities up here, we raise it in our meetings all the time,” Gord Sterritt, executive director of the Upper Fraser Fisheries Conservation Alliance, said on Wednesday.

“Justice Cohen didn’t find a smoking gun, but he did make 75 recommendations that could support sustaining the salmon resources that we rely on in the upper Fraser.”

Mr. Sterritt, who is based in Williams Lake, said several rivers in his region have such poor runs of salmon no fishing is allowed.

“There is frustration. … Some of the First Nations have been forced to go fish in other areas in order to acquire their [food fish],” he said.

“Yes, there’s frustration, bordering on anger, and it’s leading to people moving away from the collaborative approach,” said Jordan Point, executive director of the First Nations Fisheries Council. “I think the underlying feeling is we are very frustrated with the process. People are angry with the lack of movement.”

Mr. Point said that instead of following Justice Cohen’s advice concerning the protection of wild salmon, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) has shifted its focus to supporting the aquaculture industry.

“Everyone is very disappointed in what we see taking place. Very angry about it,” said Ernie Crey, who holds the fisheries portfolio for the Cheam Band on the lower Fraser.

“There’s very little evidence they are putting money into it. Very little evidence the professional staff is putting time into it,” he said. “In fact, people are being laid off left and right at [the DFO]. … So the message I’m getting from Ottawa is, ‘We don’t take these recommendations seriously. We’re not going to do anything about them.’”

Mr. Crey urged the government to adopt the report’s findings.

“They have to put legs under the recommendations in [the report from Justice] Cohen. And to accomplish that, what they’ll have to do is engage First Nations in meaningful discussion about charting the future for Fraser River sockeye salmon,” he said. “If the Prime Minister were listening to me, I’d say he should strike a committee made up of First Nation communities, government officials, academics, people involved in the industry, sport fishing interests and really take a look at the future of Fraser River sockeye salmon.”

Dan Bate, a spokesman for the DFO, said in an e-mail the government has taken steps to enhance and protect salmon runs in B.C.

“The Government of Canada has long recognized the importance of protecting sockeye salmon in the Fraser River. That’s why we convened the Cohen Commission in the first place,” he wrote.

Mr. Bate said the government has increased funding to the Pacific Salmon Foundation by about $1-million a year, put $10-million in new funding into supporting partnerships with local angling and conservation groups, and through the DFO is spending about $20-million a year on the Fraser River.

He said Fisheries Minister Gail Shea signed a memorandum of understanding last year that commits Ottawa to meet regularly with the First Nations Fisheries Council.

Back