Tear Drop Flashers

S

SIR

Anyone tried the new tear drop shapped flashers yet?

I fell for the "try the new thing" pitch at the Vancouver Boat show yesterday and bought a few.

I suspect they'll only work with spoons as even if I use the offset angle holes they don't look wide enough apart to put much action on a hootchie but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them....

Ian

Sevilla Island Resort

Nice to see someone else in the Powell River Lund area. Tried the tear drop last summer and found length of line from deep line to flasher to be key. We went from 12 to 20 pulls before we found what seemed a good combination of action. Still feel the old Abe n Al outfishes the lot.

Nice to see someone else in the Powell River Lund area. Tried the tear drop last summer and found length of line from deep line to flasher to be key. We went from 12 to 20 pulls before we found what seemed a good combination of action. Still feel the old Abe n Al outfishes the lot.

Did you try it with hootchies using the offset holes?

or just spoons?

I liked the idea of the flasher as it seemed way less speed sensitive to get the proper action but..... is the action any good.

I usually only put my flashers about 12 feet back from teh cannonball but it sounds like I should start a little further back with this flasher from your experience.... not a good thing when I'm trying to fish tight to bottom but I'll give it a shot next week and let you know what happens.

Did you try it with hootchies using the offset holes?

or just spoons?

I liked the idea of the flasher as it seemed way less speed sensitive to get the proper action but..... is the action any good.

I usually only put my flashers about 12 feet back from teh cannonball but it sounds like I should start a little further back with this flasher from your experience.... not a good thing when I'm trying to fish tight to bottom but I'll give it a shot next week and let you know what happens.

quote:Originally posted by SIR

I fell for the "try the new thing" pitch at the Vancouver Boat show yesterday and bought a few.

I suspect they'll only work with spoons as even if I use the offset angle holes they don't look wide enough apart to put much action on a hootchie but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them....

Ian

Sevilla Island Resort

These tear drop shaped or "Kone Zone" flashers are new to the west coast over the last 2 years. They've been "big" in the States and Great Lakes area for quite a while.

These "flashers" only spin on their axis, and do not impart action on your lure unless you use one of the "offset" holes.

If anything, it's probably good as a dummy for the "flash" and whether or not it gives off the "vibration" or not is another matter.

Until I see someone ranting and raving about these with a boat load of springs on the dock and no one else got anything on the tried 'n true other flashers and dodgers, I'm not buying, and I'm sure I speak for the masses of successful fishers on the coast.

Commercial trollers troll with hootchies (36 to 42 inch tail) and Spoons (50 to 72 inch tails) and even the 50 inch tails will get some action at a higher speed like some highliners troll at. This erratic action is exactly what attracts the fish. However, the tear drop style do not do nearly as effective a job.

In an ocean where fish are becoming increasingly scarce, if it "ain't broke" don't "fix it".

quote:Originally posted by SIR

Ian

Sevilla Island Resort

These tear drop shaped or "Kone Zone" flashers are new to the west coast over the last 2 years. They've been "big" in the States and Great Lakes area for quite a while.

These "flashers" only spin on their axis, and do not impart action on your lure unless you use one of the "offset" holes.

If anything, it's probably good as a dummy for the "flash" and whether or not it gives off the "vibration" or not is another matter.

Until I see someone ranting and raving about these with a boat load of springs on the dock and no one else got anything on the tried 'n true other flashers and dodgers, I'm not buying, and I'm sure I speak for the masses of successful fishers on the coast.

Commercial trollers troll with hootchies (36 to 42 inch tail) and Spoons (50 to 72 inch tails) and even the 50 inch tails will get some action at a higher speed like some highliners troll at. This erratic action is exactly what attracts the fish. However, the tear drop style do not do nearly as effective a job.

In an ocean where fish are becoming increasingly scarce, if it "ain't broke" don't "fix it".

Hey with that attitude you'll catch far too many fish, save way too much money and not get to experience any of the frustration that's supposed to be a critical part of the whole mystique of salmon fishing :)

I've fished lot's of different flashers side by side at the same depth with the same lures just to get a more accurate indication of what seems to work and my best success by far for deep fishing (under 150') is matt black spay painted flashers. My theory is that at that depth they create a black void above the fish as they look up. All I know is that I catch 2-3 times as many fish with a black flasher rather than a rainbow reflective. I've never tried fishing them shallow, as I never fish shallow...

But I'm always open to experimentation. Will report back on my opinion of tear drops after a few days experimenting.

Hey with that attitude you'll catch far too many fish, save way too much money and not get to experience any of the frustration that's supposed to be a critical part of the whole mystique of salmon fishing :)

I've fished lot's of different flashers side by side at the same depth with the same lures just to get a more accurate indication of what seems to work and my best success by far for deep fishing (under 150') is matt black spay painted flashers. My theory is that at that depth they create a black void above the fish as they look up. All I know is that I catch 2-3 times as many fish with a black flasher rather than a rainbow reflective. I've never tried fishing them shallow, as I never fish shallow...

But I'm always open to experimentation. Will report back on my opinion of tear drops after a few days experimenting.

It's nice to see there are plenty of opinions to go around. I developed the KoneZone Flasher in 2000 to fish the lower Columbia River. The plan was to, 1: attract the fish without the pressure on the gear of traditional flashers and 2: fight the fish and not the hardware after the hook up. If one fishes it with an open mind realizing that a bait is effective without all of the darting and jerking around you are half way there. Let me be the first to say that I have never fished in Canadian waters for Salmon. Hopefully I will be able to get up there and enjoy your beautiful scenery and the wonderful resource. Over the last 5 years I have been selling flashers to fishermen located around Vancouver Island and beyond. Some guys fish strait bait and nothing else. Here is a testamonial of one such fisherman http://www.konezone.com/pages/gallery.php?page=7&cs=8 Although the KoneZone is a great flasher system I am well aware that traditional flashers have been responsible for literally millions of fish landed. In the development phases, I wanted to see if I could get results with a different approach. From Berkley California to Kodiak Alaska folks are catching fish with the KoneZone flasher. I try to fish Plug-Cut Herring when ever possible and that is what the KoneZone was designed for. Spoons, Spinners and Plugs also work quite well. Hoochies along with Salmon Flies are not designed to work well with these flashers. The bottom line is some people will never change or try new things. If anyone wants to try something new then this might be the ticket. I have personally caught Halibut, King Salmon, Silver Salmon, Mackinaw {Lake Trout}, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout, Dolly Varden on these flashers. The latest added species was a Kingfish caught in Florida. Who knows you may be the next to email me with a Massive Fish. Thanks for allowing me to post and try to contribute. Mike / KoneZone.com / 503-348-9442

well it seems like the bottom line is that konezone flashers are attractors and not designed to impart action to artificial baits.

Now thats fine if you are using bait, spoons or anything that has its own action but if you are relying on your flasher to impart action these are not going to work.

Does that sound about right Mike?

Well, I often hear that you don't need a flasher in the winter becuase the water is quite clear. So there goes the arguement that all lures require the action provided by a flasher. Right?

I also know some guys will fish with false flashers and no flasher in front of the lure. So ...I would be tempted to try it as a false flasher for sure, especially in the context of sockeye where you want lots of flashers. And there would be less chance for tangles. My 2 cents.

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

well it seems like the bottom line is that konezone flashers are attractors and not designed to impart action to artificial baits.

Now thats fine if you are using bait, spoons or anything that has its own action but if you are relying on your flasher to impart action these are not going to work.

Does that sound about right Mike?

Just as easy to fish a dummy flasher, and catch fish that way.

Besides, One of these Kone Zones is going to set a Spring Salmon off and go balistic just like the conventional flashers anyways...

Fish on NO FLASH fight totally different.

Back