Tasty fat content in a white chinook.

Wow, that looks awesome! Love white spring. What do you use for your sous vide?
Anova Precision Cooker, the 1000 watt version. Has an app, I can start it and change time/temp from my phone while out. I went 125 as I knew the broiler finish would cook it to about 130 which for me is almost perfect. That is the thickest part of course, but the thinner parts wont overcook due to that wonderful fat content.

0AF8EDB9-AC93-4AD2-B80B-7247F96FDAD5.jpeg74364BDF-656E-4AEF-831C-057D008B27FA.jpegC27D70B7-AC72-41A4-9B95-59AB61D77466.jpeg

It's funny that when I fished the freshwater fairly exclusively, we avoided the stinky whites, but now that I fish the salt a lot, the whites are what the family prefers. I am led to believe that the freshwater starts the fish turning, rather rapidly, to the unpalatable stink state.

It's funny that when I fished the freshwater fairly exclusively, we avoided the stinky whites, but now that I fish the salt a lot, the whites are what the family prefers. I am led to believe that the freshwater starts the fish turning, rather rapidly, to the unpalatable stink state.
Interesting you noticed that. I gave some portions of it to a few families that love salmon, they all said the same thing....this is the best they have had and is now their favourite. Even their kids notice the texture and taste.

I'd trade for a white spring anytime, my favourite.
I have a buddy that does not like the whites at all, especially canned, and I have traded reds for his whites. He is a good friend and I don't have strong preferences either way. I have the perception that the whites have a milder flavour which I like, especially for sashimi and good fat content for the salmon version of Torro and the whites fat does seem to hold the smoke flavour when they are smoked.

I understand that historically the whites were hard to sell, and the commercial fishermen got a lower price for them, if they could sell them at all. Some I have heard took them home for the family. It may be that consumers expected salmon to be salmon coloured and did not want a salmon that was the wrong colour.

I see no one has mentioned the marbled flesh Chinooks, that have a mixture of white and red flesh.

Last edited:
for sure that is a marble, best of both worlds. lol

We love the whites too but we eat them 1st when vacuum packed and frozen. They seem to freezer burn faster than the reds or at least show it sooner

If you read the book, "Fishing with John" it mentions him giving white springs to friends up the coast, for smoking. Then stop to see them again later.

Back