Suzuki DF2.5 hp 2019

seascene

Crew Member
Just bought used looks like has seen very few hours. Just put in new gas and oil. It will not run unless choke is on and the throttle is moved forward and back continually. It will run quite a while with choke on and when engine begins to stall giving it gas revs it again. Just from a search it seems this is not unusual problem with this motor. I have adjusted the idle screw back and forth but what the screw does is just advance the gas which can be done manually at the handle. ?? Thanks for any suggestions...

Idle circuit clogged by the sounds of it. Super easy to clog with the tinny passage. Happens all the time. Needs a carb clean would be my bet.
I have a newer 3.5 merc. I Always add a bit of seafoam to the tank and run the carb dry before leaving it more than a couple weeks.

Can of power tune, and a compressor and you should have it up and going.

Thanks SB ... doing just that now but thought I would ask anyway as bought this used and thought I might be missing something at start up. Seems there might not be an hour on the engine. It sat on the rail of a sailboat and never really was used. For certain gummed up carb. I am going to disassemble and spray out jets with carb cleaner or is that Power Tune that you mentioned. Good advice for the seafoam and running out after use.

If your not going to use the engine for a long period of time, run it out of gas and then open the drain screw on the bottom of the carburetor and drain out the residual fuel.

Back