Surf park proposal floated for polluted waters of Vancouver's east False Creek

good idea...it is a wasteland down there at that end of the creek. The False Creek fokkers with their racing skulls, canoes et al. all think they own the the Creek. and there are a bunch of garbage scows (party boats) moored at the Plaza of Nations which need to move on.

I have not heard such a stupid, goofy proposal for False Creek a long time...not since the mid 1900's when some of the politicians of the day wanted to completely fill it in. I also challenge the notion that any part of it is a wasteland.

It was an industrial, polluted waterway for much of its history but beginning with the development of Granville Island, the centring of EXPO 86 and positioning of Olympic Village along its shores, and the development of new living space, parks and recreational facilities, things began to change and continue to change to this day. From a water recreation standpoint it is one of the few places in Vancouver where flatwater sports such as rowing and sculling, dragon boating, paddle and stand-up boarding, Olympic style canoeing and small outrigger use can occur.

False Creek, including its so-called wasteland eastern end, is rapidly becoming a home for many and calm waters for marine businesses, restaurants, and tourist and recreationalists...not to mention moorage and anchorage for many others. I am not sure why False Creek Fokkers (?) including canoeists and party boats, which are in fact part of the tourist, recreation and entertainment industry in Vancouver, should need to "move on". They have as much right to be there as anyone else. they don't believe they own it and their are not advocating the elimination of any other users...unlike another user in this forum. Indeed these fokkers are probably contributing as much or more than anyone else to developing the viability of the Creek as a place for people to be.

I am a long-term recreational powerboater and fisherman but I am also a long-term canoeist and paddling coach and have been using the Creek in these capacities for many years on virtually a daily basis. I would point out that between the 2 paddling clubs on the creek, and the rowing club there is perhaps as much as 1 million person hours of recreational flatwater use of the Creek each year. I suspect this exceeds most other waterways. These users represent a broad spectrum within the Vancouver and Lower Mainland from youth, adults and seniors to disabled and sight-impaired athletes. There are numerous past Olympians in this spectrum and I have no doubt that there are latent new Olympians hiding among the children and youth paddling programs join the Creek.

Yes there are the occasional conflicts between users but its only natural given the small size of the Creek and the variety of users. Harmony is not perfect but I think we all make a reasonable effort to respect the presence and activities of others...and I think it is improving all the time. Could we do with less effluent from anchored boaters and from City septic overflows.... absolutely. Do you think we would ever give up on the Creek and allow short-sighted people move us on...NEVER.

Terry Parsons, Commodore
False Creek Racing Canoe Club.

I have not heard such a stupid, goofy proposal for False Creek a long time...not since the mid 1900's when some of the politicians of the day wanted to completely fill it in. I also challenge the notion that any part of it is a wasteland.

It was an industrial, polluted waterway for much of its history but beginning with the development of Granville Island, the centring of EXPO 86 and positioning of Olympic Village along its shores, and the development of new living space, parks and recreational facilities, things began to change and continue to change to this day. From a water recreation standpoint it is one of the few places in Vancouver where flatwater sports such as rowing and sculling, dragon boating, paddle and stand-up boarding, Olympic style canoeing and small outrigger use can occur.

False Creek, including its so-called wasteland eastern end, is rapidly becoming a home for many and calm waters for marine businesses, restaurants, and tourist and recreationalists...not to mention moorage and anchorage for many others. I am not sure why False Creek Fokkers (?) including canoeists and party boats, which are in fact part of the tourist, recreation and entertainment industry in Vancouver, should need to "move on". They have as much right to be there as anyone else. they don't believe they own it and their are not advocating the elimination of any other users...unlike another user in this forum. Indeed these fokkers are probably contributing as much or more than anyone else to developing the viability of the Creek as a place for people to be.

I am a long-term recreational powerboater and fisherman but I am also a long-term canoeist and paddling coach and have been using the Creek in these capacities for many years on virtually a daily basis. I would point out that between the 2 paddling clubs on the creek, and the rowing club there is perhaps as much as 1 million person hours of recreational flatwater use of the Creek each year. I suspect this exceeds most other waterways. These users represent a broad spectrum within the Vancouver and Lower Mainland from youth, adults and seniors to disabled and sight-impaired athletes. There are numerous past Olympians in this spectrum and I have no doubt that there are latent new Olympians hiding among the children and youth paddling programs join the Creek.

Yes there are the occasional conflicts between users but its only natural given the small size of the Creek and the variety of users. Harmony is not perfect but I think we all make a reasonable effort to respect the presence and activities of others...and I think it is improving all the time. Could we do with less effluent from anchored boaters and from City septic overflows.... absolutely. Do you think we would ever give up on the Creek and allow short-sighted people move us on...NEVER.

Terry Parsons, Commodore
False Creek Racing Canoe Club.

VALID

Back